News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

Just saw the Colours of Battistella (2 blocks away) get hit by lightning. That was wild, a couple of short buildings just caught bolts too, and possibly Nuera. Loudest (closest) thunder and lightning I’ve seen here in my 11 years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Major downpourage yesterday. A coworker of mine left his car parked with his convertible top open and didn’t realize storm had hit until it was too late!
IMG_0836.jpeg

Squirrels ate my sunflowers, who was it that suggested Falconry? Need to thin those buggers out! haha. Sunflowers were about 3' tall and would have probably flowered in a few weeks, I'll try again but think it will be too late in the summer to get anything.

Squirrels ate my sunflowers, who was it that suggested Falconry? Need to thin those buggers out! haha. Sunflowers were about 3' tall and would have probably flowered in a few weeks, I'll try again but think it will be too late in the summer to get anything.
Sadly I watched squirrels the other day stealing some tomatoes. I had some tomatoes that were close to baseball sized and now they're gone. They're on the ground with bite marks :mad: They've also put the kibosh on some of my squash, taking a bit out of the squash and then leaving it This is getting really frustrating.

I've been taking a two pronged approach to the squirrels. I've hired my son to shoot his nerf gun at them and I have the hose with a sprayer ready.

My neighbours have chicken wire around all their tomatoes, I'm curious how well this will work. I'm considering leaving dog crap near the things I want to squirrels to leave alone, and also might let the dog chase squirrels out of the yard when I do see them lol.

My neighbours have chicken wire around all their tomatoes, I'm curious how well this will work. I'm considering leaving dog crap near the things I want to squirrels to leave alone, and also might let the dog chase squirrels out of the yard when I do see them lol.
So far the water spray gun seems to have worked. I haven’t seen the squirrels come around since they got sprayed a couple of days ago. On a sidenote, a few days ago there were quite a few orange tomatoes and I went up to pick them today and there’s no sign of them so I don’t know what’s going on.
It’s really disappointing though, this is one of the best garden years we’ve seen in a while, and it should be a bumper crop, but it’s not looking like.

Another line of super strong thunderstorms moving our way again today. I think we have had 1 day in the last 2 weeks without a storm.

Lots of hail at the airport. Lots of ground water. Need a whole bunch more of this rain to bring our ground water levels back up though. Still pretty dry everywhere.

I'd like to have a rain barrel setup, but where the drain spout is there isn't a spot for a rain barrel. My neighbor has a three barrel system, and it gathers up alot of water. Even a 10 minutes thunderstorm will fill all three barrels.

Back