News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

These perception will change. I can see why back in the day if a house was maybe 3x or 4x annual income, having lots of renters wouldn't be good for a neighborhood. Nowadays, even renting in a nice area require 80k+ income. In Toronto/Vancouver, being near amenities (which typically have higher density to justify the commercial) was a plus, whereas in Calgary, being too close to the retail/gyms/restaurants/cafes is considered too noisy or "crowded".

We all knew that this was coming but I still worry about the crappy proposals we will see in place of these developments

As much as it sucks that the Inglewood project will be cancelled, it’s probably for the best, as I’m not confident that RNDSQR could have pulled it off without major compromises. They could have pulled off the Marda Loop developmemt as it was proposed, but maybe it’s also for the best since Courtyard 33 also under delivered.

Let it be a lesson that a flashy rendering shouldn't influence a decision about land use. Land use is forever, building designs come and go. Whoever buys this parcel can now put up a 12 storey stucco box potentially. If that was what was shown at Council, would they have been so eager to grant the zoning change? Maybe. Probably actually, given that the Mylonas site (the Maytag building) and Hungerford sites all received similar zoning without a rendering.

As much as it sucks that the Inglewood project will be cancelled, it’s probably for the best, as I’m not confident that RNDSQR could have pulled it off without major compromises. They could have pulled off the Marda Loop developmemt as it was proposed, but maybe it’s also for the best since Courtyard 33 also under delivered.
I appreciate that RNDSQR went back to dancing with the girl that they brought to the dance. They can serve the missing middle market really well.

Whoever buys this parcel can now put up a 12 storey stucco box potentially.
The parcel is a DC (DC84D2020 will pull it up on google). The major question was heritage. The heritage component boosts FAR by 2.5, while a pop and a transit waiting area together bring it up another 2 to 6.5.

The parcel is subject to a huge amount of discretion on the part of the city. I wouldn't be worried about it going ahead with the existing DC but substandard execution. I'd be more worried about it sitting for a long time as the constraints undermine the economics. Which could be a good thing.

Like a CA defeating the development of a rental apartment in their community, should we not rejoice at this being cancelled?
1701200002482.png

I agree, they had too many things on the go. Another developer can take a run at this, probably won’t be as exciting a design, but it’ll get built.

I recall hearing that those renos were one of the reasons Suncor opted to stay in their space at SEC, ultimately leading to the cancellation of Stephen Avenue Quarter. Hopefully it'll result in a much more pleasant experience at street level along that stretch.

Suncor Engergy Centre is getting a renovation, that will actually be pretty visible, since they are removing their current terraced landscaping along 6th Avenue for a new extension of the podium. Not a ton of details in the DP drawings, but the cover page does show a decent rendering:
View attachment 523673
I’m really hoping that extension along 6th leads to a couple/few CRUs on the street. I know the +15 level has plenty, but a bit of activation would do wonders right there. Could end up being a pretty lovely experience on that block.

Suncor Engergy Centre is getting a renovation, that will actually be pretty visible, since they are removing their current terraced landscaping along 6th Avenue for a new extension of the podium. Not a ton of details in the DP drawings, but the cover page does show a decent rendering:
View attachment 523673
I guess the new design is better, but honestly, it's just more of the same soulless, lifeless office facade we already have so much of. The could do a replication of the Little Caesar's arena frontage and it would actually be better. Sad when an outside facade of arena would be better.

1701301462047.png

Last edited:

Back