News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Not a proposal just an observation… Meredith Road has so much potential to be an interesting spot… like look at this!? A brewery and a couple of restaurants. Big patio out back fronting Meredith from that big old building along Edm. Ugh!

View attachment 472200View attachment 472201

100%, The first photo is Riverside Iron Works building(s)
14206162_1085361358225949_9093694952193632429_o.jpg

Imagine turning that into a brew pub and market

"meet you down at the ironworks for beers and the night market"

Last edited:
One thing I find about those non-descript towers is they only look interesting if surrounded by older early 20th century masonry buildings. It's the contrast that makes them 'pop'. But once the downtown is all like that they lose the appeal

For example the Seagram building vs the older towers around it

07SEAGRAM1-superJumbo.jpg
Fifth Ave Place (as one tower) would look great surrounded by older buildings. Same for of the other newer ones like Home/Dome tower. I feel like the Sunlife buildings are ones that won't ever ever get love from me....just plain awful.

For example the Seagram building vs the older towers around it
I think the same could be said for the plaza in front of it. It's an amazing amenity when all the other towers have entrances right off the sidewalk, but not so much when every tower has a lifeless, windswept plaza.

Apart from it's grand Park Ave environment, what also distinguishes the Seagram Tower is its top materials and build-quality. It's something that a lot of subsequent modernist Mies-wannabes lack. Like with any good design, if you're going to go with simple lines, you need to make sure the execution is of high quality.

Would rather have a better arena on a larger lot than the opera house and smaller arena. Too bad about Fort Calgary, that place has never been able to truly become a main attraction.
Having 4+ competing western-themed heritage parks/forts/museums/stampedes is the root of the issue here I think.

it’s a weird system we have in this province about the western heritage stuff - as all the Calgary ones are dependent on provincial and municipal funding, handshakes and connections, none can really ever deviate from the western-themed, good ol’ Alberta message or risk funding. Similarly times are never tough enough to acknowledge maybe we don’t need so much of the same thing so most get funded to sustain themselves. Always too important (or too much of a headache) to kill; but never important enough to really invest at a meaningful scale to be relevant.

The result is these organization limp along, benefitting or being victim to random budget changes and political machinations, as is the case here - why dole out a few million to limp along a small Fort upgrade and a small opera/stampede upgrade? Might as well concentrate that funding to something more material to see a potential real impact.

Fort Calgary is my pet peeve, considering it’s a restoration, not original and was only created in the 1970s. 2019, before the pandemic they had 25,000 visitors - 65 a day. The river pathway right next door has 10x that at -40. But if anyone proposed a soccer stadium, major music venue or recreation centre on the Fort Calgary Site to diversify and expand the inner city offerings instead of the faux-heritage, it would be immediately rejected.

It’s not that we have too many public facilities and museums, it’s that we don’t have enough diversity in them.

Last edited:

Back