News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I see, I missed that this was following the rent trend for a certain group of (not necessarily representative of what's on the market) properties. I need more (bad) coffee.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I have a friend in a building in west Beltline. Great location, 2 BR, dishwasher, elevator, huge balcony with view, AC. But he has to use the communal laundry room. I think he looked at places with in-suite laundry, but as you said they're mostly newer, so they're a lot smaller and more expensive, and weren't worth it to him.

There absolutely is. It's not as bad as Vancouver or Toronto, but almost all of the solutions to housing affordability are not overnight solutions, they take years to implement, so it's important to act quickly to try and avoid things getting worse.

As of the 2021 census, about 35% of renter households in the Calgary CMA are cost burdened (spend over 30% of their income on housing); it's about 38% in Vancouver and 40% in Toronto, but 28% in Montreal.

But asking rents are spiking through the roof. I track the rent prices on Rentfaster occasionally. In particular, I've been tracking two bedroom units with 1.5 or more bathrooms and insuite laundry and a dishwasher (the appliances tend to exclude the run-down 1960s cheap rental properties). Here's the distribution of asking rents in the inner city (20th Ave N to 40 Ave S; 33 St W to Deerfoot) in April 2018, April 2021 and June 2023:
View attachment 483733
And here's the same thing for suburban units (ie outside the inner city, including Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore):
View attachment 483734
The median prices went up 8% inner / 4% suburban between 2018 and 2021; they've gone up 31% inner / 38% suburban between 2021 and 2023. I suspect that when suburban prices rise faster than inner city ones it's people being priced out of the inner city.

Two years ago, $2000 per month would get you an above-average unit (60th percentile) in the inner city; now that same price will get you a well below average unit (30th percentile) in the suburbs; to rent a similar unit today you'd need $2650 per month.
Can I use this for the September report back (I am City admin - and was a task force member).

Just curious if anyone knows what is going on with the MNP Centre expansion project? According to the City's website construction is supposed to start this year and be complete in 2024. I haven't really heard anything more about it or seen any sort of design renderings since the funding was first secured. Is this still a go?

Could be some more movement in Quarry Park finally away from office space... too bad it's not the existing stairwell hunks weathering further north.

19GLimV.png

Last edited:
View attachment 485165
New proposed development for East Village
It's just a DP revision of the project already proposed for the site. 4 towers that are expected to be built in 4 phases. I personally wouldn't hold my breath at this one being fully built out any time soon.

Last edited:
Attainable Homes Calgary is looking to put up townhomes on the David D. Oughton site:

While the presence of townhomes on an underutilized piece of innercity land will be a good thing, the bigger news (to me at least) is the fact that this site, about 4-5 years ago, was to be the location of a major collaboration between CMLC and RNDSQR, with the websites for that still active:

I guess it is just another sign of RNDSQR (and maybe CMLC) not being what they used to be.

Received a flyer in the mail regarding a land use application for a new development for the shopping center on 34th Ave and 19th Street in Marda Loop

www.engage34avenue.com
I feel like there was a debate on the forum the other day about whether this block should be redeveloped.

Will be too bad if some of the businesses can’t find alternative locations in the neighbourhood, but this area of the neighbourhood has improved so much with what Leonard Group has done, the brewery, etc. and still has so much potential with the planned festival street (loop within the loop), the redevelopment work Leonard is doing, and now this proposal.

The neighbourhood is becoming more and more walkable. Hopefully people get the message and start leaving their cars at home.

Back