News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Received a flyer in the mail regarding a land use application for a new development for the shopping center on 34th Ave and 19th Street in Marda Loop

www.engage34avenue.com
I was lucky enough to know about this ahead of time. They had some interesting inspiration properties pictured in the presentation I was part of that didn't make it on the site... Too bad. Gave them feedback to break the building up a bit and not to depict such a massive structure. Needless to say they didn't listen and instead chose to show the maximum allowed. Perhaps they show this, and then when actual renders come out, it's better. The website:

1686923259411.png

1686923264114.png

I knew this was a prime site!
I was lucky enough to know about this ahead of time. They had some interesting inspiration properties pictured in the presentation I was part of that didn't make it on the site... Too bad. Gave them feedback to break the building up a bit and not to depict such a massive structure. Needless to say they didn't listen and instead chose to show the maximum allowed. Perhaps they show this, and then when actual renders come out, it's better. The website:

View attachment 485718
View attachment 485719
Shermanator is not going to be happy...lol.

I have to agree with you - that massing is likely intended as an initial negotiating position that they will likely peel back to show some concessions to the community.

Does anyone know if it's possible to view the Development Permit supporting materials (the downloadable pdf) for DPs that have already been approved? I only see them on the DMAP for those currently under review. Is there a way to acquire the material from the city?

Does anyone know if it's possible to view the Development Permit supporting materials (the downloadable pdf) for DPs that have already been approved? I only see them on the DMAP for those currently under review. Is there a way to acquire the material from the city?
I think the supporting material (i.e., drawings) have only recently been made available on DMAP in the past 1-2 years, and even then, I don’t think every application included supporting materials in the early stages of the rollout. It seems like supporting material is being more consistently uploaded to DMAP now. I also think that applications that are >2-3 years old are being removed from DMAP if they are no longer active (I don’t see many applications that are older than 2021). You could probably contact the City’s file manager for the specific project you’re looking for more information on.

I think the supporting material (i.e., drawings) have only recently been made available on DMAP in the past 1-2 years, and even then, I don’t think every application included supporting materials in the early stages of the rollout. It seems like supporting material is being more consistently uploaded to DMAP now. I also think that applications that are >2-3 years old are being removed from DMAP if they are no longer active (I don’t see many applications that are older than 2021). You could probably contact the City’s file manager for the specific project you’re looking for more information on.
Wasn't too long ago you'd have to go in and make an appointment to look at a DP. The only way to relay the design to people was to 'accidentally' take some photos.

It is hilarious to me that parking is brought up in this case. Across the street is a massive parking lot. Community Associations like this do a disservice to the community and city. They think they're so important and try to put their thumb on the scale. Shame on you ECCA!

From the article:
Wong said that the Eau Claire Community Association did have concerns about parking availability if a new tower were to go up, but he said the Green Line should mitigate parking demand.

“There’s a lot of expectation that people will be using the LRT mass transit to get into (the) downtown core,” said Wong. “The other part of the equation is that anybody choosing to live in the downtown core likely will be walking or cycling, for that matter. So, the concerns about parking will be addressed at the development permit stage.”

It is hilarious to me that parking is brought up in this case. Across the street is a massive parking lot. Community Associations like this do a disservice to the community and city. They think they're so important and try to put their thumb on the scale. Shame on you ECCA!
the YMCA did fail partly due to having no parking. partly due to the city forgetting that the lot had all of its density transferred away to that parking lot. partly due to the city not giving an operational subsidy and seeing the facility as a valuable community amenity.

Not holding breath for this one. Eau Claire remains an area of lower residential activity for now. From the article:

Council heard that the new owner, Telsec Property Corporation, plans to allow interim users into the existing building in the short term, with plans for a mixed use podium and a residential tower above it.
Kris Van Grieken, speaking for Telsec, said work on the development could begin in the next couple of years.
“We have interest from interim users that would be longer than (a couple years), but we’ll weigh that out versus the ultimate vision and see what’s most appropriate,” said Van Grieken.

Could be a while.

Appreciate this website, been following forever. Finally decided to join.
Im curious what you guys think as to why there isnt another Glencoe/Winterclub style facility in Calgary considering the $$$ and waitlist of these clubs.
I think one placed in the south would do fabulously and especially think the opportunity for the Tsuu Tina Reserve to build one if they wanted as they are perfectly situated between what I would call South and West Calgary.

Thoughts?

Appreciate this website, been following forever. Finally decided to join.
Im curious what you guys think as to why there isnt another Glencoe/Winterclub style facility in Calgary considering the $$$ and waitlist of these clubs.
I think one placed in the south would do fabulously and especially think the opportunity for the Tsuu Tina Reserve to build one if they wanted as they are perfectly situated between what I would call South and West Calgary.

Thoughts?
Didn't one try for just east of trinity hills at one point?

Back