News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The original decision in council yesterday was reconsidered today in a 10-5 vote. And the revised motion was passed in a 14-1 vote (Chu opposed) with 2 new recommendations added.

A) Is there a housing crisis in Calgary, or is that just Walcott being Walcott?

B) Can someone summarize what this is all about? I'm kind of lost. For example the city rejected the city-wide adoption of R-CG yesterday, but is that part of what survived in the revised recommendations?

B) Can someone summarize what this is all about? I'm kind of lost. For example the city rejected the city-wide adoption of R-CG yesterday, but is that part of what survived in the revised recommendations?

The 33 recommendations from the Task Force yesterday were killed by Council's no vote. Then last night some of the No people started to realize that their vote had killed all work on housing affordability because the recommendations by Administration were actually separate things from the 33 recommendations made by the Task Force and it's the Admin recommendations they voted on.

As pressure started to build today thanks to prominent federal politicians belonging to both major parties, the No votes reversed course and asked for a reconsideration of their vote and then tweaked the Administration recommendations that they were voting on. All that to say, a large number of the uncontroversial Task Force recommendations will begin to move forward over the summer and a new report will come to Committee (not Council) on Sept 14, 2023 that will talk about implementation of all 33 ideas. Because it will be at Committee, it will allow the public to comment on the 33 Task Force recommendations, which is what some of the No votes wanted to see. Council can then delete things out of that report at committee, such as the RC-G blanket zoning, before the report becomes official City of Calgary policy.

As Cllr Mian said today, this essentially just delayed a decision by 3 months and created a bunch more red tape around the process but at least the conversation is moving forward instead of being stopped dead in its tracks like it was yesterday.

Urban development abound! Looking at these two pics, makes me wish the Chumir was built at the west end of the lot, and the eastern portion turned into park. It would still have 4th street running through it, but they could have put in some on the park restos along 4th.

pmPZVtb.jpg
anHpK7C.jpg

Urban development abound! Looking at these two pics, makes me wish the Chumir was built at the west end of the lot, and the eastern portion turned into park. It would still have 4th street running through it, but they could have put in some on the park restos along 4th.

pmPZVtb.jpg
anHpK7C.jpg
Take it for what it’s worth, but I was told Chumir is conceived to constantly trade ‘sides’ of the site and grow over a very long timeframe. There is a practical limit for hospitals when the support services on lower floors growing end up meaning adding an additional upper floor doesn’t add much usable space.

Upon hearing this the half the site, but somewhat taller design made sense.

There absolutely is. It's not as bad as Vancouver or Toronto, but almost all of the solutions to housing affordability are not overnight solutions, they take years to implement, so it's important to act quickly to try and avoid things getting worse.

As of the 2021 census, about 35% of renter households in the Calgary CMA are cost burdened (spend over 30% of their income on housing); it's about 38% in Vancouver and 40% in Toronto, but 28% in Montreal.

But asking rents are spiking through the roof. I track the rent prices on Rentfaster occasionally. In particular, I've been tracking two bedroom units with 1.5 or more bathrooms and insuite laundry and a dishwasher (the appliances tend to exclude the run-down 1960s cheap rental properties). Here's the distribution of asking rents in the inner city (20th Ave N to 40 Ave S; 33 St W to Deerfoot) in April 2018, April 2021 and June 2023:
1686209584133.png

And here's the same thing for suburban units (ie outside the inner city, including Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore):
1686209634018.png

The median prices went up 8% inner / 4% suburban between 2018 and 2021; they've gone up 31% inner / 38% suburban between 2021 and 2023. I suspect that when suburban prices rise faster than inner city ones it's people being priced out of the inner city.

Two years ago, $2000 per month would get you an above-average unit (60th percentile) in the inner city; now that same price will get you a well below average unit (30th percentile) in the suburbs; to rent a similar unit today you'd need $2650 per month.

There absolutely is. It's not as bad as Vancouver or Toronto, but almost all of the solutions to housing affordability are not overnight solutions, they take years to implement, so it's important to act quickly to try and avoid things getting worse.

As of the 2021 census, about 35% of renter households in the Calgary CMA are cost burdened (spend over 30% of their income on housing); it's about 38% in Vancouver and 40% in Toronto, but 28% in Montreal.

But asking rents are spiking through the roof. I track the rent prices on Rentfaster occasionally. In particular, I've been tracking two bedroom units with 1.5 or more bathrooms and insuite laundry and a dishwasher (the appliances tend to exclude the run-down 1960s cheap rental properties). Here's the distribution of asking rents in the inner city (20th Ave N to 40 Ave S; 33 St W to Deerfoot) in April 2018, April 2021 and June 2023:
View attachment 483733
And here's the same thing for suburban units (ie outside the inner city, including Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore):
View attachment 483734
The median prices went up 8% inner / 4% suburban between 2018 and 2021; they've gone up 31% inner / 38% suburban between 2021 and 2023. I suspect that when suburban prices rise faster than inner city ones it's people being priced out of the inner city.

Two years ago, $2000 per month would get you an above-average unit (60th percentile) in the inner city; now that same price will get you a well below average unit (30th percentile) in the suburbs; to rent a similar unit today you'd need $2650 per month.
Fantastic use of data here @ByeByeBaby - illustrates the crisis very well. Where/how did you collect this data? Is the underlying dataset publicly available or one you've cobbled together?

What's interesting to me is this post-Covid pop in rents/housing asset prices hasn't seemed (anecdotally) to trigger of flood of new apartment projects - part of that might be too soon, part of it might be that as rents have increased, costs and financing have as well so new building doesn't have any better margins than before. Either way I am surprised we aren't seeing too many larger-scale projects start making their way into the pipeline yet.

Those rental projects that were built a few years back on super cheap lending rates, are probably making good money right now.

One of the things that surprised me from the statscan data is that in Vancouver only 38% of renter households are cost burdened. To be honest, I thought it would be much higher, as rents are about 25 to 30% higher, but wages are the same or even lower.
I wonder if the statscan numbers account for people living in a house with multiple roommates?
Anyhow… for Calgary 35% of the renters paying over 30% of their income to housing is a lot

'Crisis' is overly dramatic, but yes the market is hot right now for both rental and purchase.

Don't forget that rental rates in Calgary were essentially flat from 2015 to 2021, so even with the major increases in the last year or so we are still not at inflation adjusted parity with 2014 rental rates. Calgary is doing a very good job relative to the rest of the country, but we need to keep ensuring that housing supply growth keeps up with demand.

You're excluding way more than just run down properties by requiring in-suite laundry. And why exclude them in the first place?

Fantastic use of data here @ByeByeBaby - illustrates the crisis very well. Where/how did you collect this data? Is the underlying dataset publicly available or one you've cobbled together?

What's interesting to me is this post-Covid pop in rents/housing asset prices hasn't seemed (anecdotally) to trigger of flood of new apartment projects - part of that might be too soon, part of it might be that as rents have increased, costs and financing have as well so new building doesn't have any better margins than before. Either way I am surprised we aren't seeing too many larger-scale projects start making their way into the pipeline yet.
It's cobbled together and primarily for my own amusement and edification; it's probably against the terms of use or whatever so I don't want to give it out willy-nilly.
You're excluding way more than just run down properties by requiring in-suite laundry. And why exclude them in the first place?
Run down was maybe a strong term, but generally anything built in the past 30 or so years includes insuite laundry and a dishwasher. I divide up the properties for two reasons; for personal reasons (see below) but also from a data perspective because it's more fair to make a cost change comparison by tracking more similar properties. If I only looked at all properties and in 2021 the mix was mostly small units - 60% 1 BR, 30% 2 BR and 10% 3 BR but in 2023 the mix was reversed somehow - 10% 1 BR, 30% 2 BR and 60% 3 BR, the overall average price would go up substantially even if there was no change in the prices of units by size; there's just more of the bigger, more expensive units on the market now.

Ideally to compare prices to find changes, you want to compare apples to apples as much as possible; ideally I'd have a number of quality controls to reflect units in newer buildings vs older buildings and so on. Refurbished suites, higher quality stove, there's a ton of possible things that could mark a nicer apartment from a less nice one. Rentfaster has limited tools for that, especially now that I'm doing it manually (in 2018 I had a program to do it, but they changed their site). What I found is that insuite laundry and dishwasher tended to reflect newer properties that had a higher value; in particular 1 bedroom units -- the average price difference between a 1BR with both and a 1 BR that doesn't is in the $400 range; for a 2 BR 1 BA it's in the $200 range (controlling broadly for location). That's also the reason I split out 2 bedroom units by the number of bathrooms; the price difference for a 2 BR 1 BA vs. a 2 BR 1.5+ BA unit is in the $300-400 range (controlling for the appliances and broadly for location) -- it's less important for other sizes; almost all 1 bedroom units are 1 bath, and almost all 3 bedroom units have at least 2 baths.

Here's a chart showing rent ranges citywide for 2 bedroom, 1 bath units by various amenities; the number in each label is a rough estimate of the average rent. The dashed lines show the distribution across all units.
1686251419737.png

The left hand side is about the appliances I flagged; insuite laundry and dishwasher. There's about $80 in higher rents for having one of the two appliances, and another $140 for having both. Comparing just both appliances versus the combination of all units that have 0 or 1 of the 2 appliances, the gap is $170, which is fairly substantial; about 9%.

On the right, there's other possible amenities. Elevators also have a pretty big gap, but I suspect this is largely because most elevators are in the inner city (where rents are generally higher) and if controlled for that, there would be less of a gap. Air conditioning is a big marker of high-end apartments, but there's not a lot of apartments with AC, only around 10% of them. (Both dishwasher and insuite laundry is about 50% of 2BR 1BA.) Fitness centres also tend to be higher-cost places, but only 20% or so of apartments have that. Insuite storage is actually negative; I don't know if that's because older units are bigger or because crummier units tend to add the few features they do have. Units with balconies have almost exactly the same price split as those without.

So ultimately, for my analysis, I control for size (1 BR, 2 BR, 3+ BR), for number of bathrooms in 2 BR, for quality using the presence of both insuite laundry and a dishwasher as a proxy, and for area (inner city vs suburban).

They're probably over data-ing an involuntary landlord situation I'd bet :)
The first half is right; the second half is wrong. 😎 I'm a voluntary tenant, but want to keep an eye on what the market is doing.

And that's the second reason I break out units with a dishwasher and insuite laundry. I've lived with neither of them, and I've lived with a dishwasher but card-op laundry room, and I'm not eager to do any of that again.

Back