News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Saw this drilling rig today west of the BMO Centre.
Would this be related to the proposed hotel ?
LRT work ?
Other ?
4D7FE073-1EF8-4B51-82E5-72A6D3231B8A.jpeg

In case anyone was wondering. These were not old as in 'heritage' type homes. They looked like they were built in the 30's-40's and were absolute dumps from the outside. I believe there is a couple houses further to the east that are still inhabited, and then of course there is Tony's Auto Service complete with residence that looks out of place now.
They were a classic example of "victory housing" which were small, formulaic houses built post-second world war for returning service members. You can see other examples throughout the inner city and throughout Canada. They might not have been flashy but they are an important part of our history and it's sad to see them tossed in the bin. Hopefully the site doesn't sit empty for decades

Saw this drilling rig today west of the BMO Centre.
Would this be related to the proposed hotel ?
LRT work ?
Other ?View attachment 276953

That doesn't look to be within the hotel parcel, so I'd say it's for the Victoria Park Station redo. The timing would make sense too; we don't even have an official proposal for the hotel yet, while the station demolition is imminent.

Yes, that rig is for the work on the vic park station, it is for construction of the new utility complex station that will be adjacent to the current power station. They've been doing underground utility work on that stretch of the line for the last few months getting it ready.

I mistakenly said in the transit thread I thought they would be building the temp platform there but having a proper read through of the the plans I see they will actually be making use of the the three configurations of the current platform during construction. Page 5: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=140804

My wife always talks about how the workers at the Tim Horton's drive through on 16th & Edmonton Trail are the happiest and friendliest in the city. I tell her it's because of the nice downtown view they have out the drive through window. I went a couple times and can confirm, very friendly and the view of Telus Sky while waiting for coffee is A+.

My wife always talks about how the workers at the Tim Horton's drive through on 16th & Edmonton Trail are the happiest and friendliest in the city. I tell her it's because of the nice downtown view they have out the drive through window. I went a couple times and can confirm, very friendly and the view of Telus Sky while waiting for coffee is A+.

One of the empty lots in Marda Loop, the former site of the Mazaya sheesha lounge has a big SOLD sign on it. Hopefully something interesting goes in there. Or maybe co-op is trying to buy up that entire block.

One of the empty lots in Marda Loop, the former site of the Mazaya sheesha lounge has a big SOLD sign on it. Hopefully something interesting goes in there. Or maybe co-op is trying to buy up that entire block.

Is this the “Prairie Block” site?

It’d be great if that entire block was redeveloped, although I’d like the buildings with the active store fronts on 33 Ave (buildings with Boogies Burgers, K-Thi Vietnamese Cuisine, etc.) to remain if possible!

It’d be great if that entire block was redeveloped, although I’d like the buildings with the active store fronts on 33 Ave (buildings with Boogies Burgers, K-Thi Vietnamese Cuisine, etc.) to remain if possible!

That's the one.

Back