News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A couple more shots of Park Park. Points for effort, but to be honest I'm not sure about this one. I'm going to need to look at it a few more times.

00-IMG_8733.JPG
00-IMG_8739.JPG

I drove by this project the the other day on way the home from Ikea. It's a project called HF11 located at 5035 11 Street SE in the Burns Industrial Park. They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas.

I couldn't stop to take a pic but it looks interesting. Nice red brick and huge floor to ceiling class walls. i found the link to the development and located it below.

Regarding the Glenbow, the other team that was far, far into the running was from Los Angeles, and they do some really cool stuff. Can't say more than that, but would have been such a better choice than Dialog (their design is very underwhelming). It came down to the wire, too. Dialog was the incumbent, and I'm guessing the Glenbow got cold feet last minute to pull the trigger on the design team switch. Ah, what could have been.
Damn! Almost wish you had not said anything.

"They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas"
This is not a conversion. This is purpose built commercial space for sale rather than lease, hence the term 'Industrial Condos'. There is no residential component to this at all. I am pretty sure the area is not zoned for residential.

I drove by this project the the other day on way the home from Ikea. It's a project called HF11 located at 5035 11 Street SE in the Burns Industrial Park. They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas.

I couldn't stop to take a pic but it looks interesting. Nice red brick and huge floor to ceiling class walls. i found the link to the development and located it below.

No way in hell I would want to live beside the dirtbike track lol.

"They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas"
This is not a conversion. This is purpose built commercial space for sale rather than lease, hence the term 'Industrial Condos'. There is no residential component to this at all. I am pretty sure the area is not zoned for residential.
Dawson Wallace is the construction management group for that project, Zeidler is listed as the architect. From the Dawson Wallace website, it appears that this is a new build maybe modifying the existing slab.
From the Dawson Wallace website: " This new building will encompass 73,000 s.f. of floor space, 16,500 s.f. of raised mezzanine, and approximately 150,000 s.f. of associated sitework. The construction of this new facility sits atop a previous meat processing facility which will be abated and demolished. The new construction will incorporate structural steel, precast wall panels, and large front curtainwalls with stepped foundations and interior slabs. The construction is scheduled to start in July 2019 and be completed in early-summer, 2020."

My mistake. I assumed it was residential after seeing it proposed as 'industrial condos'; I was not aware that the word condos can relate to other forms of building uses.

Would be cool if they were residential condos though. With the Green Line going through industrial areas in the SE, the city should look to rezoning certain areas at the stops so that older building's could be retrofitted and re-purposed as residential condos with industrial features.

My mistake. I assumed it was residential after seeing it proposed as 'industrial condos'; I was not aware that the word condos can relate to other forms of building uses.

Yup, there are industrial, retail, office, and even bare land condos. Commercial condos are actually very popular among small business owners from ethnic communities - there are a lot of them in the NE.

That parking lot looks stupid. So they painted a few stalls and erected some meaningless scaffolding. Big deal. It's still a parking lot, except it now looks like a parking lot with terrible clown make-up.
I'm not really digging it. I give points for trying something different but somehow it hasn't come together well. A good execution of this type of idea is Bounce in East Village. The fact it's still a car park doesn't help, and the scaffolding looks temporary - or maybe it is? Not sure what to think of it.

Transit gates - I have a friend who lives right behind them in Queensland. Have to go all the way around except the couple of times I've managed to sneak through haha.

It's a bus gate, got rid of the car trap that was there before. Those car traps got cars in them surprisingly often, especially the one between Centre St and Harvest Hills!

Huh. I have never heard of a car trap before. So they basically exist to prevent private cars from using certain roadways/intersections that only buses are allowed to use? I would imagine that cars get stuck in them all the time, given the recklessness/cluelessness of many drivers. Do they need a tow truck once they fall into the trap?

Toronto could use something like that to prevent the frequency of cars driving down into streetcar tunnels and getting stuck on the tracks.

Back