News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

There often called 'bus traps', though they don't trap buses. Here's an example of one that I used to see cars stuck on all the time.
Huh. I have never heard of a car trap before. So they basically exist to prevent private cars from using certain roadways/intersections that only buses are allowed to use? I would imagine that cars get stuck in them all the time, given the recklessness/cluelessness of many drivers. Do they need a tow truck once they fall into the trap?

Toronto could use something like that to prevent the frequency of cars driving down into streetcar tunnels and getting stuck on the tracks.

Huh. I have never heard of a car trap before. So they basically exist to prevent private cars from using certain roadways/intersections that only buses are allowed to use? I would imagine that cars get stuck in them all the time, given the recklessness/cluelessness of many drivers. Do they need a tow truck once they fall into the trap?

Toronto could use something like that to prevent the frequency of cars driving down into streetcar tunnels and getting stuck on the tracks.
I think a tow truck was typically required, as it is not an insignificant drop. Maybe larger pick-up trucks would be able to drive out of them. I heard a rumour / urban legend once that the original Hummer H1 was the only personal vehicle that could drive over them, given how wide the wheel track was on that one. It almost matched the width of a bus, allowing it to follow the tracks within the trap.

Wow. They're all over the place in this city. Were they a big fad among Calgary's transportation planners in the 1980s or something? I'm guessing the tow truck lobby was probably happy to have as many of these things around as possible.

Mostly a nod to NIMBY's. Transit can take a short cut while private vehicles cannot. Newer installations simply use remote controlled gates.

Glenmore dam crossing is open again
EhFX3kjWkAc_MdO.jpg

While it is a great walking/pathway link, I wished they would have upgraded it to allow a single bus to travel on it (sort of like single lane wide bridges in New Zealand), and route the Max Yellow and Max Teal across it, via 50th Avenue and 14th Street. Would probably save a lot more time if they didn't have to cross the causeway with the rest of the traffic.

The dam carried a public roadway up until the early 80’s. The picture above brings back memories of what it used to look like. It was a single lane that alternated between east and west bound 14th St. Remnants of the former road connecting to the dam are visible in River Park as power poles with street lights on them.

OMG! I can't wait to gt over to Glenmore with my camera and get that view finally!

Anybody have more information on this Land Use Redesignation from IBI Group? Potential high rise development. Public hearing meeting on it slated for next monday.

Last edited:
Anybody have more information on this Land Use Redesignation from IBI Group? Potential high rise development. Public hearing meeting on it slated for next monday.

It's the site the Stampede plans to have a hotel built on.
You can look at the RFP Here

Mostly a nod to NIMBY's. Transit can take a short cut while private vehicles cannot. Newer installations simply use remote controlled gates.
In most cases you can chalk it up to Nimbyism, mainly due to people opposed to having extra traffic through their neighborhood. In some cases it kind of makes sense (one in North Haven and the one at Beaverdam Road), having the car trap removed will entice vehicles to skip the major roads which have been designed for the extra traffic. I think the city blew it with the one at Centre Street in Beddington. It would have been nice to see Centre street go straight through to Harvest Hills. The could have put lots of traffic lights in if they wanted to ease up on the traffic.

Back