News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 857     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
One of the downsides of a union, all workers must be guaranteed a minimum amount of work, even if their scope will take them 5 minutes to complete.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
What a misleading headline. Lol, it will be repaid eventually.
Yeah, it looks like the city will be paying for it upfront, but the owner will pay via increased property taxes, etc.. If the owner can't pay the taxes, the city can eventually take it over and sell it. Either way the city will get their money.

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's a prime lot, wonder who may be interested in going for it? Who would you like to see build on that site?
Totally prime. Battistella and Bucci have shown they can do a great job of projects that size. RNDSQR and Minto could be in the convo. We'll know more once Annex and Courtyard are finished.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
No love for Lacaille? lol

I think Batistella would be my preference as well, really like pretty much everything they have done in this city so far.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd love to see a mixed use building, 11 storeys - 1 storey retail, 5 storeys hotel, 5 storeys residential. Kensington needs more destination sites (hotel help with that). I think Battistella would do a great job at this. I'd actually love to see what Minto, Graywood, or Bucci could cook up for a mixed use as well. Of all 4, I think only Minto has done mixed use before.

zagox

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd love to see a mixed use building, 11 storeys - 1 storey retail, 5 storeys hotel, 5 storeys residential. Kensington needs more destination sites (hotel help with that). I think Battistella would do a great job at this. I'd actually love to see what Minto, Graywood, or Bucci could cook up for a mixed use as well. Of all 4, I think only Minto has done mixed use before.
I’d rather not see a hotel there, likely means 2 curb cuts where there are none currently. I’d appreciate more or less a twin of the Kensington a couple doors down.

Having said all that, mostly I am hoping that the banks foreclose on the property, and sell it to a private developer to pay off the tax lien. If the city ends up owning it, I foresee a lot of consultation about affordable housing and many thick reports prepared while the construction fencing rusts and nothing happens.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
With that many stratas and separate services, a building that size likely wouldn't be feasible as a full mixed use.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I’d rather not see a hotel there, likely means 2 curb cuts where there are none currently. I’d appreciate more or less a twin of the Kensington a couple doors down.

Having said all that, mostly I am hoping that the banks foreclose on the property, and sell it to a private developer to pay off the tax lien. If the city ends up owning it, I foresee a lot of consultation about affordable housing and many thick reports prepared while the construction fencing rusts and nothing happens.
I'd be down with the hotel if we could avoid the curb cuts. It would be a great place for a youth hostel.