News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 867     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Ubran Outdoorsman

Member Bio
Reaction score
University District continues its current hot streak. Looks like they are getting a couple of new office buildings, just to the east of the Children`s Hospital:
I may have stumbled across the identity of this proposal. It would seem the UofC is planning on constructing a research facility here.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
2 phases for ISIC. The phasing on that site is incorrect, though the budget is mostly correct. 1st phase is funded just like Mathison. Second Phase unfunded, but another building instead of equipping shelled space I think. The location on the map of the major project page isn't right - I believe it is still slated to go near the LRT/biological sciences building, thought the final final site is to be determined.

IceCreamMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Regarding the Glenbow, the other team that was far, far into the running was from Los Angeles, and they do some really cool stuff. Can't say more than that, but would have been such a better choice than Dialog (their design is very underwhelming). It came down to the wire, too. Dialog was the incumbent, and I'm guessing the Glenbow got cold feet last minute to pull the trigger on the design team switch. Ah, what could have been.

Calgcouver

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how they plan to program this park (seating, interactive elements, thing to do, etc.) Not sure i quite get what its function is going to be, so far anyways. Nice to see a CPA lot converted to something better, thats for sure!

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
My own opinion is it's the monolithic wall, with lack of windows. It's typical of museums to cut down on windows, but having more glass and a more broken up wall would make a big difference. That and the lack of any real retail are the two main reasons I think. Having the large double height glass at the base will make a difference...if they could throw in a small cafe like the one in the Library and a gift shop in there to make it look more inviting, that would help also.
They are including a cafe and CRU at street level on Stephen Ave :)

IanBray

Member Bio
Reaction score
I drove by this project the the other day on way the home from Ikea. It's a project called HF11 located at 5035 11 Street SE in the Burns Industrial Park. They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas.

I couldn't stop to take a pic but it looks interesting. Nice red brick and huge floor to ceiling class walls. i found the link to the development and located it below.

FCC1982

Member Bio
Reaction score
Regarding the Glenbow, the other team that was far, far into the running was from Los Angeles, and they do some really cool stuff. Can't say more than that, but would have been such a better choice than Dialog (their design is very underwhelming). It came down to the wire, too. Dialog was the incumbent, and I'm guessing the Glenbow got cold feet last minute to pull the trigger on the design team switch. Ah, what could have been.
Damn! Almost wish you had not said anything.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
"They are currently retrofitting a newish industrial warehouse into 'Industrial Condos'. Looks interesting as its not too far away from the Ramsay craft beer area. Would love to see more residential development in the industrial areas"
This is not a conversion. This is purpose built commercial space for sale rather than lease, hence the term 'Industrial Condos'. There is no residential component to this at all. I am pretty sure the area is not zoned for residential.