News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

University District continues its current hot streak. Looks like they are getting a couple of new office buildings, just to the east of the Children`s Hospital:
Nice to see some new development permits for UD. But I have a hard time believing there's much appetite for new office space? I imagine they'll be targeting medical services and such, but still.

Just saw this proposed building for a luxury condo tower posted on the McKinley page. Looks like the location is where the bounce basketball courts are in EV. (sorry for the grainy shot, it's a screenshot from IG).

Pretty cool looking building. Here's another rendering of it. I wonder if this is just some playing around with concepts?

115842911_163666321951273_8146020436169164210_n.jpg
116029061_2642447589357864_7257708740280837301_n.jpg

University District continues its current hot streak. Looks like they are getting a couple of new office buildings, just to the east of the Children`s Hospital:
I may have stumbled across the identity of this proposal. It would seem the UofC is planning on constructing a research facility here.

2 phases for ISIC. The phasing on that site is incorrect, though the budget is mostly correct. 1st phase is funded just like Mathison. Second Phase unfunded, but another building instead of equipping shelled space I think. The location on the map of the major project page isn't right - I believe it is still slated to go near the LRT/biological sciences building, thought the final final site is to be determined.

Regarding the Glenbow, the other team that was far, far into the running was from Los Angeles, and they do some really cool stuff. Can't say more than that, but would have been such a better choice than Dialog (their design is very underwhelming). It came down to the wire, too. Dialog was the incumbent, and I'm guessing the Glenbow got cold feet last minute to pull the trigger on the design team switch. Ah, what could have been.

My own opinion is it's the monolithic wall, with lack of windows. It's typical of museums to cut down on windows, but having more glass and a more broken up wall would make a big difference. That and the lack of any real retail are the two main reasons I think. Having the large double height glass at the base will make a difference...if they could throw in a small cafe like the one in the Library and a gift shop in there to make it look more inviting, that would help also.

They are including a cafe and CRU at street level on Stephen Ave :)

Back