News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I love it!

Here is the link to the Jemm Properties proposal: https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/

And a birds eye view of the massing...

Large-Site-FAR10-2Tower.jpg

combined-diagram-01.jpg

I've been wondering for a long time where Mopac would be going. They had the building for sale for quite some time and it finally sold a couple years ago but they still haven't moved. They are the last building on the block with the parking lot to the west.

O2 as the planning consultant makes sense, they did the land use for Minto Annex as well as the concept design for the Bow-to-Bluff linear park that directly fronts the parcel. I don't see any record of the land sale yet.

Will be very interesting to see who bought it - that will reveal a lot about the likelihood of it going ahead versus being yet another developable consolidated parcel on a fairly long list in Sunnyside.

And the answer is ... JEMM, of the Bridges and Centre/16th fame:

"Applicant Submission: In collaboration with JEMM Properties (JEMM), O2 Planning + Design (O2) proposes to redesignate the subject site (223 – 231 9A Street NW) to a Direct Control (DC) based on the Multi-Residential – High Density Medium Rise district (MH-2). Key elements being sought in a DC are a maximum density of 5.0 FAR, a maximum building height of 26 metres, and no minimum parking requirement. This will enable the redevelopment of 5 single-detached houses into a medium-density mid-rise development that aligns with the vision established in the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP)."

The no minimum parking piece is the most interesting to me, it mirrors their investment in the Bridges and the way they got that project off the ground with much less parking cost per unit than the neighboring developments. I wish them well and hope this one goes on a similar timeline as the Bridges.

It needs a ton of work. The storefronts are quite boring for the amount of space they occupy. Ceiling heights could be higher too. It's an average twin tower development at its best.

Last edited:
Funny. Also incredibly dickish.

If it's reasonable for someone to love the model than why is it unreasonable for someone to find this boring? Another thread someone recently posted forumers were too critical of a podium and attacked their standards as being irrational in a similar fashion to mocking criticism of this proposal. I guess a level of group thinking and a double standard developing are unavoidable in forums like this. It won't stop me from posting my higher expectations either unless that is what everyone wants.

Last edited:
Time for a new thread! This is currently out for tender for budgetary purposes

2 Park Central
Hines Management
Corner of 11 Ave & 4 St SW
39 stories
531 units
Design Architect: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Architect of Record: Gibbs Gage
Tentative Completion: sometime in 2023

With it already out to tender, I am assuming the design is done, and is probably similar to the first tower.
Time for a new thread! This is currently out for tender for budgetary purposes

2 Park Central
Hines Management
Corner of 11 Ave & 4 St SW
39 stories
531 units
Design Architect: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Architect of Record: Gibbs Gage
Tentative Completion: sometime in 2023

A promising development down at City Hall today with committee approval (7-1) of a $35 million public realm fund which will hopefully spur some more inner city development:

The city is hoping that by investing more money to improve the public realm in Calgary's established communities, developers will get more interested in spending money there.

Council's priorities and finance committee approved a plan on Wednesday to improve pedestrian facilities and parks as well as adding traffic calming measures in certain areas north, west and southwest of downtown.

There would also be $5 million spent on improving utilities in those communities to accommodate growth and replace aging underground infrastructure.

The plan calls for the spending to happen over the next two years.

The list of projects includes:

• Improving amenities around the arts centre in Mount Pleasant.
  • Improving pedestrian connectivity around the Bridgeland LRT station.
  • Upgrading around River Park and Sandy Beach in the southwest.
  • Upgrades to the Kensington Plaza.
  • Investing in Buckmaster Park in Bankview and adding traffic calming measures to nearby streets.

Full Article

Interesting that a tiny triangle between sidewalks with a few benches would constitute a formal name but you’re right, that must be it. I’ve spent many a day on those benches hoping the day would come that there’d be some improvements to the space. It could really use some portable cafe style tables and chairs, something like the east end of St. Patrick’s island.

I expect though they’ll replace the brick pavers with broomed concrete and large trash collecting planters with shrubs that don’t receive any attention.

I would assume that plaza right in front of the Plaza theatre and the surrounding block that was left out from the street improvements a few years back?

Great idea to fix up these areas, but I would have thrown that $35 million towards the Stephen Ave refurbishment. That street should become THE prime destination in the entire city with 17th, 4th Street, Kensington, and 9th Ave (Inglewood) as the 4 main secondary sites.

Back