News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 860     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Banff Trail is adjacent to the second largest employment cluster in the city and within walking distance of 2 LRT stations. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to sustain a retail street if Marda Loop and Bridgeland can. As well, Bridgeland is situated in between two dying malls (North Hill and Brentwood). It could easily draw community amenities such as a post office or drug store from those places, which would also make them more accessible to people at the university.

Also, it's not that every single block between Crowchild and 19 Street needs to have retail. But this development is smack in the middle of the neighbourhood. Imagine if something like this had been allowed to be built at 20 St and 33 Ave in Marda Loop instead of that building with Shoppers Drug Mart and Phil and Sebastian. It might have sabotaged the entire transformation of Marda Loop.

The conditions that created Kensington Market in Toronto were entirely unique and do not exist anymore in any city. How many residential buildings in this city, built in the last 50 years, have had their ground floors converted from residential to retail? If this gets built it will create a dead space in the middle of 24 Ave that will exist for generations.
I agree with this assessment, if there is ever a place to try and retrofit in a pedestrian main street in early suburban design, 24 Avenue is top of the list for potential.

As for my Kensington Market reference was an attempt at being humourous. Personally, in the long run I think we should work to blur the regulatory line between residential and small scale neighbourhood retail so it's not so difficult to imagine one use transitioning to another. Calgary has lots of pretty interesting residential-only neighbourhoods that would bump up a level to being great neighbourhoods if they just allowed a few businesses or small destinations (cafe, bar, bookshop, food place) of any kind that isn't a strip mall.

outoftheice

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has this proposal by JEMM Properties been discussed before? Looks like they are going for a land-use redesignation right now. It is for the NW corner of 16th Ave N and Centre St and they are proposing a 5 story podium with a 17 story tower and a 30 story tower. This would be a massive change to the area. I'll be curious to see how this shakes out. Given that the site is just steps from the Green Line station I think more density should definitely be the goal and I'm happy they also appear to be seeking parking relaxations but 30 stories might be a bit extreme.

Perspective1-1024x576.jpg

16AveSidewalkLookingWest-1024x576.jpg

16AveSidewalkFromRoad-1024x576.jpg

https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/

Duck Lightning

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has this proposal by JEMM Properties been discussed before? Looks like they are going for a land-use redesignation right now. It is for the NW corner of 16th Ave N and Centre St and they are proposing a 5 story podium with a 17 story tower and a 30 story tower. This would be a massive change to the area. I'll be curious to see how this shakes out. Given that the site is just steps from the Green Line station I think more density should definitely be the goal and I'm happy they also appear to be seeking parking relaxations but 30 stories might be a bit extreme.

View attachment 242883

View attachment 242884

View attachment 242885

R.I.P. King Kong statue

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The land use was mentioned a while back, but no renderings, just a mention of the height. Seems like the perfect spot for something like this, especially with a future green line station going nearby.

View attachment 242883

View attachment 242884

View attachment 242885

Joborule

Member Bio
Reaction score
If that plan goes through, hopefully it has space for the MAX Orange Westbound bus stop to have an actual enclosed heated shelter. I don't understand why they advertise the MAX service to have heated shelters, but not all the stops do.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I love it!

Here is the link to the Jemm Properties proposal: https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/

And a birds eye view of the massing...

Rollerstud98

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been wondering for a long time where Mopac would be going. They had the building for sale for quite some time and it finally sold a couple years ago but they still haven't moved. They are the last building on the block with the parking lot to the west.

zagox

Member Bio
Reaction score
O2 as the planning consultant makes sense, they did the land use for Minto Annex as well as the concept design for the Bow-to-Bluff linear park that directly fronts the parcel. I don't see any record of the land sale yet.

Will be very interesting to see who bought it - that will reveal a lot about the likelihood of it going ahead versus being yet another developable consolidated parcel on a fairly long list in Sunnyside.
And the answer is ... JEMM, of the Bridges and Centre/16th fame:

"Applicant Submission: In collaboration with JEMM Properties (JEMM), O2 Planning + Design (O2) proposes to redesignate the subject site (223 – 231 9A Street NW) to a Direct Control (DC) based on the Multi-Residential – High Density Medium Rise district (MH-2). Key elements being sought in a DC are a maximum density of 5.0 FAR, a maximum building height of 26 metres, and no minimum parking requirement. This will enable the redevelopment of 5 single-detached houses into a medium-density mid-rise development that aligns with the vision established in the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP)."

The no minimum parking piece is the most interesting to me, it mirrors their investment in the Bridges and the way they got that project off the ground with much less parking cost per unit than the neighboring developments. I wish them well and hope this one goes on a similar timeline as the Bridges.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
It needs a ton of work. The storefronts are quite boring for the amount of space they occupy. Ceiling heights could be higher too. It's an average twin tower development at its best.

Last edited: