News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

How much at grade retail could 24th handle? From Crowchild to 19th Street, it is a little over 800m. In Kensington, along 10th Street, from 5th Ave to Memorial, it is about 570m. I would say if we get good, street oriented units on some of the 24th Ave proposals, it will be just as good for the high street feel as retail, especially since it is unlikely that this street will develop more than what 10th Street has in Kensington.
True. You could always convert ground-oriented residents to commercial later (assuming a we add a few hundred thousands additional residents and change few dozen regulatory, cultural and economic things nearby over the next 50 years ). With the right planning - or complete lack of it - 24 Avenue could become Calgary's Kensington Market in about 2 generations :)

1587420867019.png
1587420896041.png

It'd be nice if there were a couple of developments with retail along 24th. I'd like it if one of the spaces was a convenience store.

1st Ave in Bridgeland has a new commercial building proposed, extending the mainstreet west a bit further:

Located here:

Nothing on Gravity's website that I can see, but they do pretty solid work, so it should be good.

How much at grade retail could 24th handle?
Agreed, until the density in Banff trail increases SIGNIFICANTLY I doubt 24th ave could support a full retail streetscape.

Banff Trail is adjacent to the second largest employment cluster in the city and within walking distance of 2 LRT stations. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to sustain a retail street if Marda Loop and Bridgeland can. As well, Bridgeland is situated in between two dying malls (North Hill and Brentwood). It could easily draw community amenities such as a post office or drug store from those places, which would also make them more accessible to people at the university.

Also, it's not that every single block between Crowchild and 19 Street needs to have retail. But this development is smack in the middle of the neighbourhood. Imagine if something like this had been allowed to be built at 20 St and 33 Ave in Marda Loop instead of that building with Shoppers Drug Mart and Phil and Sebastian. It might have sabotaged the entire transformation of Marda Loop.

The conditions that created Kensington Market in Toronto were entirely unique and do not exist anymore in any city. How many residential buildings in this city, built in the last 50 years, have had their ground floors converted from residential to retail? If this gets built it will create a dead space in the middle of 24 Ave that will exist for generations.

Banff Trail is adjacent to the second largest employment cluster in the city and within walking distance of 2 LRT stations. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to sustain a retail street if Marda Loop and Bridgeland can. As well, Bridgeland is situated in between two dying malls (North Hill and Brentwood). It could easily draw community amenities such as a post office or drug store from those places, which would also make them more accessible to people at the university.

Also, it's not that every single block between Crowchild and 19 Street needs to have retail. But this development is smack in the middle of the neighbourhood. Imagine if something like this had been allowed to be built at 20 St and 33 Ave in Marda Loop instead of that building with Shoppers Drug Mart and Phil and Sebastian. It might have sabotaged the entire transformation of Marda Loop.

The conditions that created Kensington Market in Toronto were entirely unique and do not exist anymore in any city. How many residential buildings in this city, built in the last 50 years, have had their ground floors converted from residential to retail? If this gets built it will create a dead space in the middle of 24 Ave that will exist for generations.

I agree with this assessment, if there is ever a place to try and retrofit in a pedestrian main street in early suburban design, 24 Avenue is top of the list for potential.

As for my Kensington Market reference was an attempt at being humourous. Personally, in the long run I think we should work to blur the regulatory line between residential and small scale neighbourhood retail so it's not so difficult to imagine one use transitioning to another. Calgary has lots of pretty interesting residential-only neighbourhoods that would bump up a level to being great neighbourhoods if they just allowed a few businesses or small destinations (cafe, bar, bookshop, food place) of any kind that isn't a strip mall.

Has this proposal by JEMM Properties been discussed before? Looks like they are going for a land-use redesignation right now. It is for the NW corner of 16th Ave N and Centre St and they are proposing a 5 story podium with a 17 story tower and a 30 story tower. This would be a massive change to the area. I'll be curious to see how this shakes out. Given that the site is just steps from the Green Line station I think more density should definitely be the goal and I'm happy they also appear to be seeking parking relaxations but 30 stories might be a bit extreme.

Perspective1-1024x576.jpg

16AveSidewalkLookingWest-1024x576.jpg

16AveSidewalkFromRoad-1024x576.jpg

https://jemm.ca/16-avenue/

Has this proposal by JEMM Properties been discussed before? Looks like they are going for a land-use redesignation right now. It is for the NW corner of 16th Ave N and Centre St and they are proposing a 5 story podium with a 17 story tower and a 30 story tower. This would be a massive change to the area. I'll be curious to see how this shakes out. Given that the site is just steps from the Green Line station I think more density should definitely be the goal and I'm happy they also appear to be seeking parking relaxations but 30 stories might be a bit extreme.

View attachment 242883

View attachment 242884

View attachment 242885

R.I.P. King Kong statue

The land use was mentioned a while back, but no renderings, just a mention of the height. Seems like the perfect spot for something like this, especially with a future green line station going nearby.

View attachment 242883

View attachment 242884

View attachment 242885

If that plan goes through, hopefully it has space for the MAX Orange Westbound bus stop to have an actual enclosed heated shelter. I don't understand why they advertise the MAX service to have heated shelters, but not all the stops do.

Back