News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A BREW PUB!!! A restaurant in the main building that uses that huge pavement space as a patio, and the back building with the brewery tanks! Maybe a cute boutique tech office on the 2nd floor.

A BREW PUB!!! A restaurant in the main building that uses that huge pavement space as a patio, and the back building with the brewery tanks! Maybe a cute boutique tech office on the 2nd floor.

Great building for it, but 6th Avenue & Macleod Trail is a rough location for patios. Each road is over built at that location (one-way 4 lanes + parking lane on Macleod & one-way 3 lanes + 2 extra wide parking lanes on 6th Avenue), so you could probably take a lane from each for half a block around a future restaurant and have a chance at making it a nice place to visit. Surrounding land uses are tough right now, any pub or restaurant would probably end up focusing on the office crowd as the other blocks are closed CBE headquarters, old folks home, monolithic office tower blocks etc. It is a really cool space though, hopefully they find something useful to do with it!

Yeah, that'd be nice touch!

I always thought that this 60's building would make a wicked restaurant/ brew pub:

With the parking lot being converted into a patio/public space.

Land use application is in for the group of houses directly south of Pixel in Kensington:
View attachment 240846

O2 as the planning consultant makes sense, they did the land use for Minto Annex as well as the concept design for the Bow-to-Bluff linear park that directly fronts the parcel. I don't see any record of the land sale yet.

Will be very interesting to see who bought it - that will reveal a lot about the likelihood of it going ahead versus being yet another developable consolidated parcel on a fairly long list in Sunnyside.

RNDSQR have yet another project out for tender.

84 unit purpose rental.
They're bullish on the market. I'm kind of surprised given all the negative side on the economy. I really like the project, hopefully it gets built.

They're bullish on the market. I'm kind of surprised given all the negative side on the economy. I really like the project, hopefully it gets built.
People still progress through life, and some people want new things. The urban professionals and perhaps downsizers in the high end market are ones that still have some money and they are less likely to be buying down in Walden as an alternative. I'd call the market surprisingly resilient as long as you get your price point right. And yeah, they are probably taking a lower margin on projects, but it is better than no margin.

Calgary Herald: White: A look at the challenges to revitalizing 24th Avenue NW.

Backlash against the 24th ave developments...

Speaking of 24th ave, here is a rendering one of the proposals, located here.. I think this may have been posted already, but in case it hasn't, here it is. 6 storeys, 39 units.

00-IMG_7125.jpg

I noticed in the video they mention 400 residential units being next to the retail area, and the video sort of shows a glimpse of it.
I seem to recall that when the news broke that the greenhouse was sold and closing, that the former owners had put a caveat in the sales contract that the new owners create a residential neighbourhood. Well it’s not as residential neighborhood-y as I would have expected, but at least it’s better than what’s there currently. And hopefully the development will “clean up” and reinvigorate the sad little street between Rona and the Superstore building. Hopefully the residential portion also gets built soon and with some style!

Speaking of 24th ave, here is a rendering one of the proposals, located here.. I think this may have been posted already, but in case it hasn't, here it is. 6 storeys, 39 units.

Aren't they trying to create active frontage along 24 ave? This seems like a step in the wrong direction.

How much at grade retail could 24th handle? From Crowchild to 19th Street, it is a little over 800m. In Kensington, along 10th Street, from 5th Ave to Memorial, it is about 570m. I would say if we get good, street oriented units on some of the 24th Ave proposals, it will be just as good for the high street feel as retail, especially since it is unlikely that this street will develop more than what 10th Street has in Kensington.

How much at grade retail could 24th handle? From Crowchild to 19th Street, it is a little over 800m. In Kensington, along 10th Street, from 5th Ave to Memorial, it is about 570m. I would say if we get good, street oriented units on some of the 24th Ave proposals, it will be just as good for the high street feel as retail, especially since it is unlikely that this street will develop more than what 10th Street has in Kensington.
Agreed, until the density in Banff trail increases SIGNIFICANTLY I doubt 24th ave could support a full retail streetscape. There's already 2 fantastic cafes within banff trail/capitol hill and I can't imagine too many other businesses being able to successfully set up shop. That being said I'm exited for the handful of new retailers that will hopefully set up shop in the next few years. Banff Trail has a lot of potential as an urban community which I'm exitesd to see realized.

Back