News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I know this is out there, but it would be super cool if the city was able to "encase" the rail track through downtown and turn it into something like the New York high lineView attachment 211013
Yeah it would be awesome. The only issue is that modern safety standards would have the bottom of the structure over the track being at least 8 meters (26 feet), going off of old West LRT documents, where crossing the tracks was a major design constraint. fortunately at 5th street, the underpass gives 4 meters of clearance, so can throw something together to show how high that is - for the bottom of the structure:

The reason is to allow blast pressure clearance iirc - so it would also mean not encasing it. Once it had a roof, it would also mean you couldn't build buildings up to the tracks without alternative paths to relieve pressure.

Yeah it would be awesome. The only issue is that modern safety standards would have the bottom of the structure over the track being at least 8 meters (26 feet), going off of old West LRT documents, where crossing the tracks was a major design constraint. fortunately at 5th street, the underpass gives 4 meters of clearance, so can throw something together to show how high that is - for the bottom of the structure:

The reason is to allow blast pressure clearance iirc - so it would also mean not encasing it. Once it had a roof, it would also mean you couldn't build buildings up to the tracks without alternative paths to relieve pressure.

Wow - the knowledge our posters have on this forum is astounding!

I remember a friend who used to be a senior planner for the city telling me that's why not much has been built along the tracks for decades is because of the "blast zone" and that "(we would) be shocked if you knew what they ship through the middle of this city"... I was like "oh shit" o_O

A lot of talk of what to do with the area should the tracks be moved revolves around some type of park. That seems the logical thing to do. I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Highline, it's one of coolest things I've had a chance to check out.

I've always been pushing the idea of turning it into a canal, by diverting water from around Crowchild area, and running it though downtown and lining the canal with restaurants/residential buildings, etc.. putting the water back into the river by Fort Calgary. I think it would turn Calgary into a world class tourist destination, but it's a lot of money to do it.
If they built a canal, it would be a good amount of 'waterfront' property. A nice bike path system running along one side of it, and maybe a one lane road on the other side, would be totally epic.

I remember a friend who used to be a senior planner for the city telling me that's why not much has been built along the tracks for decades is because of the "blast zone" and that "(we would) be shocked if you knew what they ship through the middle of this city"... I was like "oh shit" o_O

Good point, we can't forget the Lac Megantic Rail Disaster

Assuming that the Gulf Canada Parkade (or whatever it is called now) is built to acceptable safety standards, there should be plenty of opportunity to develop over the tracks. The Railtown proposal from right before the financial crisis would have bridged the tracks between East Village and Victoria Park over several blocks.

Assuming that the Gulf Canada Parkade (or whatever it is called now) is built to acceptable safety standards, there should be plenty of opportunity to develop over the tracks. The Railtown proposal from right before the financial crisis would have bridged the tracks between East Village and Victoria Park over several blocks.
For sure! It is higher than 8 meters very roughly. And both sides don't present flat walls to the track for air tightness.

For sure you can enclose, if you mitigate (grates or vents or knock out panels exposed to the tracks and outside, with enough air flow for exhuast and in emergencies, over pressure. .

Can’t remember the name of the project on the NE corner of 17ave/4st SW? Seems like the bottom floor is all empty. Wonder if they are going to start demolition of the current building soon?

Looks like a new DP at the NE corner of 10th Ave and 14th Street SW. I think this is the 3rd iteration of a project now on this site, the first being two 60 storey towers, then an 8 storey mixed use one, and now this DP. Description is lacking, but one can assume residential over retail. No idea how many or what size though:

Can’t remember the name of the project on the NE corner of 17ave/4st SW? Seems like the bottom floor is all empty. Wonder if they are going to start demolition of the current building soon?
1520 is the project. As far as I know they are just renovating the office tower for now. Reno will include adding another floor and having a restaurant on the top floor.

1520 is the project. As far as I know they are just renovating the office tower for now. Reno will include adding another floor and having a restaurant on the top floor.
I read through the last page of the “1520” thread. Seems like they are tearing it down and rebuilding? The site has a lot of developer info all over the windows. Kinda looks like something is going to happen

That what I was told. Originally they were going to re-do the facade and do some interior renovating, but it was getting too difficult to do what they wanted to do and tearing and re-building was easier. They are only tearing down to ground level and then building up again, keeping the existing u/g parking. Starting from grade will make the project progress fairly quickly.
I read through the last page of the “1520” thread. Seems like they are tearing it down and rebuilding? The site has a lot of developer info all over the windows. Kinda looks like something is going to happen

That what I was told. Originally they were going to re-do the facade and do some interior renovating, but it was getting too difficult to do what they wanted to do and tearing and re-building was easier. They are only tearing down to ground level and then building up again, keeping the existing u/g parking. Starting from grade will make the project progress fairly quickly.
Must be an engineering nightmare to have to only tear down a certain amount of the building

Agreed. One thing about have a new building from scratch is you get all the newest technologies, and get to start fresh. Oddly enough it sounds like washrooms were the biggest issue. They were looking at re-doing all the washrooms to make them bigger and more modern, and it was costly and complicated.

Back