News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Kensington's getting dense!
Great photo of the urban density. It's the kind of angle that most people not familiar with the city (including some residents) would not think we would have based on our reputation. All the difficulties of redevelopment aside, I can't wait for similar angles of mid/high-rise density being increasingly available along what are today largely suburban areas in the coming years and decades (Brentwood - U of C - Banff Trail; MRU - Currie Barracks Marda Loop - South Calgary) .

Does anyone have any info on the President Apts proposal?

It might just be conversion to retail, but the description is pretty vague.

A proposal from around 2007 would have built a tower on the site, preserving the existing building as sort of a podium. While the density would have been an improvement, from my memory of the rendering, the overall design was a mess. All I could find was this blurred out image:

I did find mention in a David Parker article. Someone with more patience (and skill) may be able to find the old development permit.

Maybe there is a new proposal.

Last edited:
From what I can gather, this proposal is to infill the existing parking lot west of the existing apartment building. I walked by the development permit signage the other night and I believe the proposal called for a 6-storey development.

Last edited:
looks like a new tallest polar bear going up

From the file manager:

The proposal is for a six storey (25 metre) multi-residential building (25 units) with retail at the ground level. The proposed building is on the west half of the property, adjacent to the President building.
I emailed him too. He's probably wondering what the attraction is for this project lol.

Back