News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Interesting. I know lots of lots have underground rivers and streams to contend with during excavation, Centre 10 had it really bad when it was going to be the Midtown towers, kept having the wood shoring blow out lol. Probably a major reason buildings now use secant piles and shotcrete almost exclusively.

Let's hope the Nashlands doesn't include the Nash itself.

I think this is the site where the Starbucks, liquor store and Trail appliances sits. You can see the outline of the red barn in the background.

It's kinda funny...The strip mall was only built in 2009.

From the newsletter:
"Landstar Developments has a proposal for the Trail Appliances/Starbucks site, adjacent to the Nash, for a mixed-use building to be developed in conjunction with a project on the Nash lands which are zoned to go to 12 storeys."

So sounds like both properties.

I think this is the site where the Starbucks, liquor store and Trail appliances sits. You can see the outline of the red barn in the background.

Both proposals are indeed 12 storey proposals.

From the newsletter:
"Landstar Developments has a proposal for the Trail Appliances/Starbucks site, adjacent to the Nash, for a mixed-use building to be developed in conjunction with a project on the Nash lands which are zoned to go to 12 storeys."

So sounds like both properties.

The rendering shown earlier for this is an old rendering. The newer one shows a 12 storey building and is reflective of the massing. It's concept only for now. A design will be released wen the DP is submitted, but the massing is what they are targeting.

LabeledPR_1.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Oh... oh wow. And this is going to be designed by MoDA? We're in for a f*cking treat boys!

Key is building on constrained sites where a market or a simple building like a beer hall would be near the highest and best use.

Like these:
View attachment 194450

- I really wonder what the CMHC plan is for the Enoch House parking lot after the Cowboys Tent packs up. The one benefit is that I think Cowboys paid for it to be paved, it used to be a dirt lot and I watched the excavate a ton of old victorian foundations out of there before they paved it over.

- The parking lot south of that is what the Stampede board was trying to solicit Hotel construction bids for.

- North is the warehouse district and I think those have historical protection.

- The only real empty lot left is the one beside the Enmax power station just north of Village Ice Cream.

- The LRT does constrain any underground construction so no tall buildings or foundations along that line.

That is dope

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0378...CDkyRpAf1r88KAObSsNg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
In other good news, Google Street View has updated a lot of streets in our city, the bad part, it was done on a mostly gloomy day in May with no blossomed trees. I love the commitment Google has for updating its Street View system but cities like Calgary should encourage them to shoot pictures on sunny days between June-August.

I really hope they go with the Rossetti design.

When the strip mall was built I was happy to see a Starbucks' there and thought it was a win for the area. This will be so much better.

Back