News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Is most of the activity in the suburban condo market right now? I can't think of any urban condo projects right now, beyond Nude, Frontier (Truman's Kensington one in pre-sales) and First and Park (Graywood's Eau Claire project that is apparently sold out). Think this will spur a company like Great Gulf to move forward on their Highcliffe Riverfront project?

Is most of the activity in the suburban condo market right now? I can't think of any urban condo projects right now, beyond Nude, Frontier (Truman's Kensington one in pre-sales) and First and Park (Graywood's Eau Claire project that is apparently sold out). Think this will spur a company like Great Gulf to move forward on their Highcliffe Riverfront project?
I would say demand isn't really location based, it is for any larger-scale and well marketed condo developments which there seems to be a bit more of in suburban locations right now. I don't think that many (if any) concrete condo projects will proceed like Great Gulf's Highcliffe Riverfront project because i do not think that the ROI and acheivable $psf people will pay will support concrete construction. For that to happen i think we would need to see achievable $psf on inner-city or TOD concrete condos hit closer to $650psf, and currently East Village condos are around $530-550psf. This estimate could be wrong now and would only be pushed higher with the volatility of construction materials right now. In my opinion, this is why you are basically only seeing wood-frame condos going forward, and why Theodore and First & Park are aspirationally-priced outliers and why we won't see many more of those in the short or medium term. For example the only actively marketed suite in Theodore is asking $677psf which is really high and a pretty serious outlier. This is why when i see inner-city projects look for more FAR than can support 6-storey wood buildings (around 3-4FAR), it is obvious it will either be rental if it moves forward, or the project will sit forever unbuilt. That is why i am a big advocate for seeing basically everything be 6-stories, because at least then i know i can expect to see that building completed within 10 years. Too many people doing land-use for higher FARs to support mid and high-rise buildings, for those sites to sit underdeveloped or as parking lots with high hopes of a day that over $650psf would be achievable and I don't think that day will ever come, might as well get 3-4FAR and build something that you can actually complete and see an ROI in a reasonable amount of time. I would prefer to see others do what Qualex-Landmark did with Park Point 2 than waiting for this imaginary day when the condos are so popular that it will achieve $650psf consistently. In the bigger picture, Calgary releases so much developable greenfield land that home prices are pretty stable where demand isn't usually aggressively outstripping supply like we're seeing in Toronto and Vancouver which pushed condo prices sky-high in those regions, so i don't really see concrete condos being consistently profitable for developers.

Last edited:
1.6% vacancy rate??Ouch. Looks like housing affordability is gonna become an Alberta problem as well. I still haven't understood why we're lagging behind in the number of new projects taking off? There should be at least double the number of towers and midrises being built right now based off all the housing data coming out.

1.6% vacancy rate??Ouch. Looks like housing affordability is gonna become an Alberta problem as well. I still haven't understood why we're lagging behind in the number of new projects taking off? There should be at least double the number of towers and midrises being built right now based off all the housing data coming out.
Meanwhile land owners in the Beltline are tearing down their buildings to put up parking lots 🙄

Rental market all cross Alberta but especially in Calgary is making big gains too so I can see why people buying Condos and apartmentshttps://www.businesswire.com/news/h..._source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-262818136&s=09
That infographic seems pretty suspect, especially coming from a Property Management company. Heres the snapshot from CMHC's latest report:
1645729127142.png

More info on pages 34-40 here: https://assets.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/site....pdf?rev=a5a0eaac-6f70-4058-8aa3-e6d307685910

Keep in mind though, that the CMHC stats are up to Oct 21, and the other one from hope street is showing from Oct 21 to Feb 22. I'm not saying they are 100% correct or can be used as an apples to apples comparison to CMHC, as the data used by Hope Street comes primarily from private landlords (as they outline at the bottom of the page) and might be different than CMHC.

Either way, I suppose if Hope street is seeing a drop from 6% to 1.6% it could be indicative of the market in general. Anxious to CMHC stats for Q1.

Keep in mind though, that the CMHC stats are up to Oct 21, and the other one from hope street is showing from Oct 21 to Feb 22. I'm not saying they are 100% correct or can be used as an apples to apples comparison to CMHC, as the data used by Hope Street comes primarily from private landlords (as they outline at the bottom of the page) and might be different than CMHC.

Either way, I suppose if Hope street is seeing a drop from 6% to 1.6% it could be indicative of the market in general. Anxious to CMHC stats for Q1.
Ya i would be willing to bet vacancy has dropped as my rental projects seem to be leasing up quicker than last year, my only thing with the Hope Street infographic is a don't really know what the sample size of "private" landlords would be and if its indicative of the overall Calgary market, but that can wait until the new CMHC Report comes out. Either way @Morshed it is definitely interesting info and good find.

And personally, as a renter I really don't want to go back to the boom-time Calgary rental market where you have to go to open houses to struggle to get a place and to expect huge jumps in prices at lease renewal.

That 1.6% vacancy number is super suspect. A quick, non-scientific rentfaster search has some 1,000-1,500 units available in the immediate inner city. Almost every block between the two rivers has multiple apartments available. Granted, I am sure conditions are improving some what from the depths of the pandemic and prolonged oil market decline by a 3 month decline from 6% to 1.6% suggests a data quirk rather than representative of the broader trend. Last time we had 1.6% vacancy you couldn't find an apartment easily.

Also this chart from the Hope Street report is an absolute data crime scene:

1645734944886.png

Attachments

• 1645734924538.png
    1645734924538.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 48
That infographic is comically bad; I hope whoever did it is different from whoever gathered the underlying data, because the graphic designer is mathematically illiterate.

The sample of "private" landlords is an interesting one; there are dynamics here that are different from the purpose-built market. Given the high unemployment rate, some private landlords who have lost their job might drop their rents to get a tenant so they aren't carrying a vacant unit on a reduced income -- that reduces vacancy but is counter-cyclical cost-wise.

Just a question about investors from Ontario/BC gobbling up product here. I know Russian investors have been a big part of the boom/shortage of units in Toronto. With what’s going on in the world right now and countries freezing Russian assets, will that effect current properties in TO or possible investors here?

That infographic is comically bad; I hope whoever did it is different from whoever gathered the underlying data, because the graphic designer is mathematically illiterate.

The sample of "private" landlords is an interesting one; there are dynamics here that are different from the purpose-built market. Given the high unemployment rate, some private landlords who have lost their job might drop their rents to get a tenant so they aren't carrying a vacant unit on a reduced income -- that reduces vacancy but is counter-cyclical cost-wise.
I don't know how anyone could measure the number of 'private investor' apartments that are in the rental pool at any given point in time. Someone buys a condo that the previous owner used as a rental property, and the new owner occupies it.....it is no longer a rental property. Similarly, someone buys a owner-occupied condo as an investment, and decides to rent it out ... it is added to the rental pool. How and who keeps track of all this?
Using my building as an example, there are always apartments for rent and occasionally units for sale. My guess is that at least 50% of the units in my condo are still being rented... at one time when it was first built, it may have been as high as 70%. Again, how is all of this being tracked for the hundreds of condo buildings in use?

Just a question about investors from Ontario/BC gobbling up product here. I know Russian investors have been a big part of the boom/shortage of units in Toronto. With what’s going on in the world right now and countries freezing Russian assets, will that effect current properties in TO or possible investors here?
I don't think regular Russians are part of the sanctions, just the state and those in government / close to government. Pure speculation on my part though.

Has there been any info posted on a new development on 58th Ave SW and Elbow Drive? I was leaving Chinook the other day and noticed six or seven houses all fenced in and looked like they were getting prepped for demolition. The amount of land available suggests a fairly sizeable building is possible.

Has there been any info posted on a new development on 58th Ave SW and Elbow Drive? I was leaving Chinook the other day and noticed six or seven houses all fenced in and looked like they were getting prepped for demolition. The amount of land available suggests a fairly sizeable building is possible.
Chinook Landing by Brava Living: https://skyrisecities.com/database/projects/chinook-landing
Here is the thread for it:

Good to see some (slight) action on it, as Brava's website no longer lists it (or any project) as a current project. Might just be a glitch on their website, and hopefully the case. However, the other day I did notice a judicial sale sign up on a site that was another project of theirs, at 17th Ave and 73rd Street SW, north of Rundle College.

Back