News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Cool to see new development; sad to see that basketball court go. People have been actively using it every single time I've gone by.
Ya that basketball court is very well-used, I would hope to see it recaptured and improved upon in the Jeffries Park upgrade on the Ramsay side of the tracks. Maybe relocate somewhere here:
1646090733981.png

Yes, a portion of the ASP got approval back in 2019 after a very extensive hearing where the City was very opposed to it. The City kind of won in some ways, freezing the vast majority of the ASP, however the board seemed to throw a bone to Genesis/The County by allowing the core commercial development to proceed (from a policy perspective). That portion would still need approval of its Conceptual Scheme and land use, and I am not sure if that process has to go through the regional board as well, or just the County Council. Given what happened with Ascension, I feel like it does. That said, it will be difficult to say no now that the interchange is funded, but we will see how Gondek/The City reacts, given their veto power.

That would be two major commercial develompents, just across the jurisdiction line between The County and The City. The lower taxes seem to be a pretty big draw, which also seems to be reflected in Qualico's conceptual scheme for the balance of the Crestmont lands that fall within the County, as opposed to the City side. I haven't seen the outline plan for what they propose on the City side, but based on the description, there is not a lot of commercial land use in it, leaving that more to the County portion of the plan.

I won't really comment too much on what Canderel and Tsuut'ina have planned with Taza, but it is pretty clear that any plans Calgary City Council has to try and build-up the non-residential tax base are facing some very serious headwinds and competition.

Last edited:

Back