News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

This seems to be over 150 meters away from the closest detached home. Seems like another case of people sticking their noses in other people's business. Let me guess? worried about parking spilling over to their residential streets?

This is a great spot for a 16 storey, next to an LRT station and a 28 storey tower that looks awkward standing alone right now.
Land use proposal for the Banff Trail TOD. 16 story mixed use. Apparently some residents aren't all to happy about it but I'll reserve my judgements until I see some renders.

This seems to be over 150 meters away from the closest detached home. Seems like another case of people sticking their noses in other people's business. Let me guess? worried about parking spilling over to their residential streets?

This is a great spot for a 16 storey, next to an LRT station and a 28 storey tower that looks awkward standing alone right now.

Absolutely. “Ohs noes I might see a building in the distance from my backyard instead of more clouds! Won’t somebody think of the children playing in the backyard in the shadows of progress!”

Land use proposal for the Banff Trail TOD. 16 story mixed use. Apparently some residents aren't all to happy about it but I'll reserve my judgements until I see some renders.

I suspect it'll be the same issue as with the Hub. Nobody complained about the design but complained it would cause extra traffic, which wasn't the case at all.. The people who complained didn't even live that close to it, the closest of the complainers was someone on the other side of 16th ave and a couple of blocks east.
They can complain all they want, but it's not going to stop the city from approving it.

Traffic concerns for buildings in this spot is so ridiculous. It’s such an isolated area bordered by two major roads and a train line. There’s absolutely no need for any of these residents to ever drive on a single family Banff Trail or Briar Hill road.

Maybe it’s their spot in the McDonald’s drive-through line their protective of.

Traffic concerns for buildings in this spot is so ridiculous. It’s such an isolated area bordered by two major roads and a train line. There’s absolutely no need for any of these residents to ever drive on a single family Banff Trail or Briar Hill road.

Maybe it’s their spot in the McDonald’s drive-through line their protective of.
Exactly. People complaining about traffic concerns in that location might be the most ridiculous case of nimbyism ever.

Exactly. People complaining about traffic concerns in that location might be the most ridiculous case of nimbyism ever.

Fortunately there are very, very few examples of Council actually listening to these types of complaints (or even more valid ones). NIMBYism in Calgary is mostly a sideshow with little impact on the actual development process in terms of land use and development permit approvals on private property. The tougher lift for Calgary urbanists is getting the public realm to catch up and be more friendly to urban density and active transportation.

Absolutely. “Ohs noes I might see a building in the distance from my backyard instead of more clouds! Won’t somebody think of the children playing in the backyard in the shadows of progress!”
From what I've heard its the shadows that are being brought up as an issue, but like you said its 150m west and I have a hard time imagining shadows being a big deal. Maybe for like an hour in January

From what I've heard its the shadows that are being brought up as an issue, but like you said its 150m west and I have a hard time imagining shadows being a big deal. Maybe for like an hour in January
Calgary is blessed with so much sunlight year-round yet a few citizens seem to find 2 hours of less sunlight in the winter the end of the world. On the other hand, a region like Metro Vancouver, which is in the dark for 6 months of the year, got highrises popping up next to suburban backyards. The highrise below is in Delta, just steps away from residential-detached homes. I can sympathize with NIMBYist that have a 30 storey tower stuckup right in their backyard in the outer suburbs, but when they're living in an old neighbourhood near an LRT station, a stadium, a University, and a major highway, what else do they expect is gonna happen? more low rise density? NIMBYist attitude just becomes annoyingly redundant. Now if it's a hideous 16 story tower, then I'll march alongside the NIMBYist to City hall while wearing my "I'm triggered" hat.
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.22.18 PM.png

Last edited:
New multi-residential development proposed for Bowness

These types of developments are good for Bowness, we just a few more of them. One of the other projects on Gravity's website 'The Jake' is also slated for Bowness.

Also, there is this little tidbit from the October issue of the Inglewood Community Association newsletter:

Blackfoot Truckstop – Proposed
Development

A brief discussion was held between a prospective appli-
cant concerning a mixed-use development for the Blackfoot

Truckstop site (which includes three separate land parcels)
which would include residential apartments, office space,
and ground floor commercial/retail.
The applicant is currently planning for a six (6) storey
building and the residential units would be mid-range
priced rental units. Stay tuned!

See page 4.
This is a different development from the highrise proposed there a couple of years back?

Yeah that one has been proposed for years. The design was changed to this one like last year.

Back