News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Does anyone know what the deal is with this one? Picture was taken yesterday.

712C20D3-2A8C-48F5-A182-AE911FB801AF.jpeg

It is being demoed, just because it is in such horrible shape. Attainable Homes Calgary owns it (as well as the parking lot to the south across 6th Avenue) and got both parcels upzoned in 2012. Attainable Homes used to have their offices in that building, but moved across 9th Street into the brick office building to the east over a year ago.

I think the building has simply become a liability now, given how poor of shape it was in. I could see water marks on some of the higher exterior walls, even when we hadn't had precipitation for days, which made me assume there had been some pipes bursting at one point. A higher up at Attainable Homes told me it is simply being torn down, no plans for the parcel as of yet.

Given the size of the parcel, I don't think you could fit a tower on site (FAR wise). I would love to see something of the scale of Lido or Pixel built here, but don't think ground floor retail would be necessary (or very successful, given the streets it would front).

Shame about the degradation, I actually really appreciate the brick work. Given the right designer, it would be an interesting palette for an extensive adaptive reuse.

We don't need anymore neglected buildings so this is probably the best course of action.

If attainable home owns the site, I could see them leveraging it for some attainable condos in the future. It would be a great first step to getting their homes into the core.

On another note, here‘s a photo of this recently completed RoundSquare development in Bridgeland. It’s a few weeks old, but thought I would share something for one of my first posts on this site. I can’t believe how long it took me to make the plunge into these waters, considering the state of the alternative forum...

3486723F-AD0B-4ED5-A683-0F6668E45C13.jpeg

Photo Credit - Me, 2021

Wee have a thread for General Block (the RNDSQR project), lots of pics in there! Feel free to use it.

I actually like the Attainable Homes Building. I'm not sure what the exact history of the building is, but it looks like it's from that era when architects were adopting modern aesthetics, but still designing their buildings to fit into the existing pre-war streetscape. Far superior to the car-centric abominations further down the block. Wish we could demo those.

I actually like the Attainable Homes Building. I'm not sure what the exact history of the building is, but it looks like it's from that era when architects were adopting modern aesthetics, but still designing their buildings to fit into the existing pre-war streetscape. Far superior to the car-centric abominations further down the block. Wish we could demo those.

was a furniture store in the 70s

Back