4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Farmer's market:
20210326_110839.jpg

I actually like the Attainable Homes Building. I'm not sure what the exact history of the building is, but it looks like it's from that era when architects were adopting modern aesthetics, but still designing their buildings to fit into the existing pre-war streetscape. Far superior to the car-centric abominations further down the block. Wish we could demo those.

Agreed in terms of form. The mural will be missed, too.

A look at how Curtis Block, among others, have really filled the gap along Macleod. I get a lot of pleasure looking at this photo I took from 5th floor Chumir. Yes, I get tested regularly 😅
EB90A4C5-3BFB-475E-A848-892CE331CE41.jpeg
Photo Credit - Me, 2021

On another note, here‘s a photo of this recently completed RoundSquare development in Bridgeland. It’s a few weeks old, but thought I would share something for one of my first posts on this site. I can’t believe how long it took me to make the plunge into these waters, considering the state of the alternative forum...

View attachment 308137
Photo Credit - Me, 2021
Welcome YYCALGARY :)

A look at how Curtis Block, among others, have really filled the gap along Macleod. I get a lot of pleasure looking at this photo I took from 5th floor Chumir. Yes, I get tested regularly 😅View attachment 308205Photo Credit - Me, 2021
One more gap to the left and this is a great city shot! I mean it already is tbh

On another note, here‘s a photo of this recently completed RoundSquare development in Bridgeland. It’s a few weeks old, but thought I would share something for one of my first posts on this site. I can’t believe how long it took me to make the plunge into these waters, considering the state of the alternative forum...

View attachment 308137
Photo Credit - Me, 2021
Welcome to the site!

Not sad to see that one go, any idea what's going in?
Plans may have changed since I was last informed, but it'll be a 6 storey residential - even on ground floor which will be interesting. If memory serves correct, AHC is also changing their model on this building slightly, where they'll have the "affordable" go in perpetuity. IE When someone goes to sell the condo, they can only see an increase to account for inflation. Jaydan Tait (CEO of AHC) is moving the company in a great direction IMO.

The city has released its plans for Richmond Green, solid density boost and everything you could think of, row houses, townhouses and low rise buildings. The NIMBYS on Reddit and Twitter are very angry they are losing 2 of their baseball diamonds though lol.

View attachment 309321View attachment 309322View attachment 309323
I live in Currie Barracks and this would be a great addition to the area, and yes people ARE angry lol I think they forgot that they can't use the diamonds 7 months out of the year :)

I live in Currie Barracks and this would be a great addition to the area, and yes people ARE angry lol I think they forgot that they can't use the diamonds 7 months out of the year :)
Losing 'baseball diamonds'? HaHa.
If there is one thing that Calgary has an abundance of is ... markedly underused baseball diamonds. There was a time ... Boomer generation mostly ... when baseball was very popular amongst kids. Yes there are recreational leagues for adults today but youth has turned to other sports & activities. You rarely see pick-up games on diamonds. Added up, the space that baseball diamonds take up in this city to sit vacant for the vast majority of the year, is astronomical.

I lived across Crowchild in Marda Loop for 3 years in High School and I cannot remember one time I saw anybody ever using those baseball diamonds.

Losing 'baseball diamonds'? HaHa.
If there is one thing that Calgary has an abundance of is ... markedly underused baseball diamonds. There was a time ... Boomer generation mostly ... when baseball was very popular amongst kids. Yes there are recreational leagues for adults today but youth has turned to other sports & activities. You rarely see pick-up games on diamonds. Added up, the space that baseball diamonds take up in this city to sit vacant for the vast majority of the year, is astronomical.
Couldn't agree more.

Rationalization of Calgary's park space is a very low hanging fruit for better land use and sustainability. Politically it would be a giant mess of course - but come on: within a 10 minute drive of the location there's about 75 other ball diamonds in all sorts of conditions, qualities and sizes between school and park sites, nearly all with minimal utilization. The deteriorating condition of all these facilities (and other park infrastructure in general) in much of the city is a direct result of having too many of them, too few users and too few maintenance dollars spread between too many assets.

In the lowest density communities where redevelop pressure is starting to occur, we should convert as many ball diamonds as possible to land uses that pay taxes and concentrate the maintenance dollars to sites and facilities that are actually used, popular and can be updated.

In other news, the Haskayne Legacy Park up in the deep northwest of the city is ready for visitors, aside from the glaringly obvious issue that there isn't anyway to actually get to the park.

I couldn't fine any photos of what's been done online, but i'll be back in the city in 10 days and I live in the area so i'll trek my way up there and snoop around a bit.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.21.25 PM.png

Back