News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

@Urban Warrior @Surrealplaces This is how I picture it to turn out. I could be wrong though.

View attachment 71334

You are psychic my friend.

I had a look at the DP and it looks a lot like that one, also similar to Ven, or this one in Bridgeland

Image6.jpg

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
I am of two minds on this project. I do like it quite a lot. It's very mature and modern. I do worry that it will look a little drab in the winter time though. Still, I think it continues to add great diversity to Kensington. It easily has the best 8-10 storey buildings and projects in the city right now.

Definitely love the scale and modern look. I wonder about the drabness in winter too, but maybe the glass balconies take away from that.

Perhaps the city should institute a policy where all project submission must have a summer (green), winter (white) and most of the time (brown) render. :p

Regardless of season it looks a heck of a lot better that the other Kensington project being floated.

Perhaps the city should institute a policy where all project submission must have a summer (green), winter (white) and most of the time (brown) render. :p

Regardless of season it looks a heck of a lot better that the other Kensington project being floated.
Lol no kidding. I like the Minto proposal but would love it if it were off white or very light cream. Metallic gray panelling would be cool, though Pixel already has it.

I don't know how much of an improvement this is, but I just saw this on my feed:

MyProperty map re-launches today

We’ve improved calgary.ca/myproperty, a one-stop shop for Calgary property details, including ward, community, development and building permit information. It’s now mobile-friendly, easy to use and accessible.

What else is new?
  • Land use re-designations link directly to calgary.ca/pdmap status information
  • Land use designation information
  • Links to City planning policies
In the next few months, we’ll be adding property assessment values.

Visit calgary.ca/myproperty to find out more.- See more at: http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2016/04/myproperty-map-re-launches-today.html#sthash.I5ODr3Yb.dpuf

A few pics of the newest DP submission for Kensington, a 93 unit proposal from Anthem. Pretty 'typical' looking design.

Memorial1.jpg Memorial2.jpg Memorial3.jpg

Attachments

• Memorial1.jpg
    Memorial1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Memorial2.jpg
    Memorial2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Memorial3.jpg
    Memorial3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 275
Better than feared less than hoped for?

Speaking of less than hope for, does anyone else thing the Memorial across the street ended up completely missing the mark? It's just a bunch of rusty steel facing this way and that. It doesn't feel like a proper memorial. If you ever find yourself in northern France, don't miss the Vimy Ridge memorial. There are few things every Canadian should do, but that's one of them.

Better than feared less than hoped for?

Speaking of less than hope for, does anyone else thing the Memorial across the street ended up completely missing the mark? It's just a bunch of rusty steel facing this way and that. It doesn't feel like a proper memorial. If you ever find yourself in northern France, don't miss the Vimy Ridge memorial. There are few things every Canadian should do, but that's one of them.
I could not agree with you more. The War Memorial in Ottawa is more of how I think of a proper memorial , or if you mentioned the ones in Europe or more of a proper memorial .
Plaza itself is fine as a public space I actually quite like it I just don't think it's a proper memorial I totally agree with you

I've never been to Ottawa, but it might happen this summer. I will be at the family cottage over Canada Day and well, what's a five hour drive to a Canadian? :D I'll be sure to check out the war memorial while I'm there.

I, I, I, I hate always beginning my sentences with I. I'll allow the irony to sink in. I'm going to try to work on this. Starting now.

The "Memorial" area around the 10th street bridge is a symptom of one of Calgary's unfortunate flaws. We just don't seem to be able to get our public plazas right. Olympic Plaza, James Short Park, that god awful thing that will hopefully someday become Fist Canadian East, Century Gardens, Tomkins Park, Eau Claire and this one. They all suck. I had to look up some of the names because they're so unmemorable. Not everything can be Central Memorial Park or Prince's Island, but we have to do better. My personal biggest beef though is Harley Hotchkiss park. The tall grass and horse sculptures are neat, but it's so sterile. My ultimate hope is that CMLC can make something nice out of Olympic Plaza and then maybe after a few years have gone by they can consider revisiting Harley Hotchkiss.

Don't even get me started on the Devonian Gardens... :(

I've never been to Ottawa, but it might happen this summer. I will be at the family cottage over Canada Day and well, what's a five hour drive to a Canadian? :D I'll be sure to check out the war memorial while I'm there.

I, I, I, I hate always beginning my sentences with I. I'll allow the irony to sink in. I'm going to try to work on this. Starting now.

The "Memorial" area around the 10th street bridge is a symptom of one of Calgary's unfortunate flaws. We just don't seem to be able to get our public plazas right. Olympic Plaza, James Short Park, that god awful thing that will hopefully someday become Fist Canadian East, Century Gardens, Tomkins Park, Eau Claire and this one. They all suck. I had to look up some of the names because they're so unmemorable. Not everything can be Central Memorial Park or Prince's Island, but we have to do better. My personal biggest beef though is Harley Hotchkiss park. The tall grass and horse sculptures are neat, but it's so sterile. My ultimate hope is that CMLC can make something nice out of Olympic Plaza and then maybe after a few years have gone by they can consider revisiting Harley Hotchkiss.

Don't even get me started on the Devonian Gardens... :(

I find the Sue Higgins park on 12th is also too Sterile for my liking. I don't mind Tomkins park, but that could be because of it's surroundings. Agree totally about Olympic plaza and Hotchkiss. I think Olympic plaza can be fixed with some tweaks, and then maybe later a more expensive, more involved change can be done.

Back