News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

Thank you, that is indeed what it is. Twitter works here at work, but not any of the links in Twitter.... and yeah, those shingles don't look any better after being 'weathered' a little bit of weathering would be fine, but they look totally beat up.

Hardie board is better option for sure, but you're right the expense is what makes a prohibitive. My brother put it on his house about seven years ago when it was first starting to catch on and it still looks brand-new.
Vinyl is resistant to small hail, but those big hailstorms that roll through every few years does millions of dollars in damage to homes, and most of that is Vinyl having to be replaced. Hardie board is a much better option, but it's about 2x the cost which is why greedy developers rarely use it.

Just had a long conversation with someone who showed up at my door looking to build NIMBY support to oppose the condo going up on 33 Ave and 15 St SW (Marda Loop). I tried to convince him not to fear density and the urbanization of 33rd Ave, and that increased density and walk scores would actually increase property values, not decrease them. I also encouraged him to work with the developer to ensure that the condo would be well-designed as opposed to fixating on the height (he was saying that nothing over 3 storeys should be built in the neighbourhood!). He seemed pleasant enough and even took notes as I was talking! But he still had the typical NIMBY mindset: "I sunk my life savings into this house", "this building is going to block out the sun", "it will create too much traffic in the neighborhood", and so on. While he didn't say it explicitly, I got the sense that he was also worried about the "wrong kind of people" moving into the neighbourhood.

I tried to get him excited about the idea that Marda Loop could become the next Kensington, Inglewood, and Mission. He did seem a little receptive to that idea.

Planning commission for next week has a few items of interest.
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docume...ommission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-april-20.pdf
Item 3.09 (page 91/487): Just a procedure change, but it looks like they are going to start recording and archiving the video from CPC, similar to Council. Could be interesting if you want to see a particular development, but aren't able to book off your entire Thursday afternoon.

Item 4.1 (95/487): Anderson Station ARP is finally making its way back to CPC, before (hopefully) going to Council for approval.

Item 5.01 (173/487): St. Michael's Church on 85th Street SW is redesignating the north portion of their lot to accommodate a future seniors complex. M-H1 so pretty big. Would be a good fit as this is right next to Truman's 8 storey development.

Items 5.02 and 5.03 (191/487): Another new suburban community way down in the deep south of Calgary.

Item 5.05 (239/487): The updated Springbank Hill ASP, giving policy direction on all of the vacant land south of 17th Ave SW, between 77th and 85th street.

Item 5.06 (369/487): Some new pedestrian bridges are being built on the pathway system around the Glenmore Reservoir, next to the Earl Grey Golf Club.

Item 5.09 (409/487): Minto's second Sunnyside project is going for their land use approval.

Item 5.10 (429/487): The new mixed use building being proposed for the NE corner of 14th Street and 20th Ave NW. I think some of us have seen this one before, thanks to Surreal Places. For those that haven't, the DP drawings start on page 422.

Glad to see Minto's Bridgeland proposal get recommended for approval. They only received three letters from citizens and two were in support of the project. Also nice to see that Capitol hill one get reccomended for approval, and virtually no opposition. Both are good proposals IMO and even in this downturn could still get built.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_plann
[URL]http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-april-20.pdf
Item 3.09 (page 91/487): Just a procedure change, but it looks like they are going to start recording and archiving the video from CPC, similar to Council. Could be interesting if you want to see a particular development, but aren't able to book off your entire Thursday afternoon.

Item 4.1 (95/487): Anderson Station ARP is finally making its way back to CPC, before (hopefully) going to Council for approval.

Item 5.01 (173/487): St. Michael's Church on 85th Street SW is redesignating the north portion of their lot to accommodate a future seniors complex. M-H1 so pretty big. Would be a good fit as this is right next to Truman's 8 storey development.

Items 5.02 and 5.03 (191/487): Another new suburban community way down in the deep south of Calgary.

Item 5.05 (239/487): The updated Springbank Hill ASP, giving policy direction on all of the vacant land south of 17th Ave SW, between 77th and 85th street.

Item 5.06 (369/487): Some new pedestrian bridges are being built on the pathway system around the Glenmore Reservoir, next to the Earl Grey Golf Club.

Item 5.09 (409/487): Minto's second Sunnyside project is going for their land use approval.

Item 5.10 (429/487): The new mixed use building being proposed for the NE corner of 14th Street and 20th Ave NW. I think some of us have seen this one before, thanks to Surreal Places. For those that haven't, the DP drawings start on page 422.

ing_commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-april-20.pdf[/URL]

Thank you for taking the time to do that. I wish more people took the time to explain to NIMBYs the other side of the story.
In my own experience most NIMBYs are good people, and aren't usually anti-developer, but just haven't heard both sides of the story.

Just had a long conversation with someone who showed up at my door looking to build NIMBY support to oppose the condo going up on 33 Ave and 15 St SW (Marda Loop). I tried to convince him not to fear density and the urbanization of 33rd Ave, and that increased density and walk scores would actually increase property values, not decrease them. I also encouraged him to work with the developer to ensure that the condo would be well-designed as opposed to fixating on the height (he was saying that nothing over 3 storeys should be built in the neighbourhood!). He seemed pleasant enough and even took notes as I was talking! But he still had the typical NIMBY mindset: "I sunk my life savings into this house", "this building is going to block out the sun", "it will create too much traffic in the neighborhood", and so on. While he didn't say it explicitly, I got the sense that he was also worried about the "wrong kind of people" moving into the neighbourhood.

I tried to get him excited about the idea that Marda Loop could become the next Kensington, Inglewood, and Mission. He did seem a little receptive to that idea.

I saw a pile driver this morning sitting at a site just north of 16th Ave st about 8th street. The area is fenced off, and dug up. Does anyone know what they are building there?

I saw a pile driver this morning sitting at a site just north of 16th Ave st about 8th street. The area is fenced off, and dug up. Does anyone know what they are building there?

My post back from April 1st (which I wasn't joking about). Looks like a 4 storey condo, with small retail portion as well.

There was a pile driver on site for the Delaney, the trico homes apartment building at the corner of 17th Ave and 8th Street NW:
http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes...-affordable-rental-building-in-mount-pleasant

http://www.tricohomes.com/news_details.bpsx?NewsID=131

This is right in behind Lacaille's project on 8th Street and 16th Ave.

Back