News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Gold is the only one I can think of that doesn't tarnish. For sure it will darken and become less shiny.

I think the fish scales look awesome. I wonder if it will be used as a background in a movie filmed here sometime.

Gold is the only one I can think of that doesn't tarnish. For sure it will darken and become less shiny.
Played Zinc doesn't fade very much, from what I've seen it can last a long time before looking tarnished. Mind you in this case being out in the sun and the elements, might be different.
Brass has copper in it, so it'll definitely tarnish over time.

Brass tarnishes unless you put a coating on it to prevent that. The tiles in question will definitely fade a bit, I hope they don't get too much darker though, that building looks pretty cool as is.

Hail would have to have some effect on it. I hope the architects have taken it into account.

Hail would have to have some effect on it. I hope the architects have taken it into account.
Has nothing to do with the architects and everything to do with the manufacturer. Any cladding sold in this city should be resistant to hail, though for some reason vinyl siding is still used.

Has nothing to do with the architects and everything to do with the manufacturer. Any cladding sold in this city should be resistant to hail, though for some reason vinyl siding is still used.
But aren't the architects the ones who choose the siding? Assuming it's a local architect, wouldn't they take it into account?

But aren't the architects the ones who choose the siding? Assuming it's a local architect, wouldn't they take it into account?
Architects choose it, but the manufacturer has to warranty it, so it would be in their best interest to make sure their product is suitable for the market in which they are selling it.

Vinyl siding is relatively resistant to hail. Plus it is usually on vertical surfaces that are at least partially protected. Always wondered why composite siding never caught on in Calgary. It is common place in locales like Denver and Salt Lake that also have to deal with intense sun, rapid temperature changes and dry air. Cedar siding used to be common in Calgary. While expense was likely the main driver to find alternatives, it was also horrible for maintenance because Calgary's climate would bleach the stain in 2-3 years, crack the wood and displace the caulking used to seal corners etc.

Vinyl siding is relatively resistant to hail. Plus it is usually on vertical surfaces that are at least partially protected. Always wondered why composite siding never caught on in Calgary. It is common place in locales like Denver and Salt Lake that also have to deal with intense sun, rapid temperature changes and dry air. Cedar siding used to be common in Calgary. While expense was likely the main driver to find alternatives, it was also horrible for maintenance because Calgary's climate would bleach the stain in 2-3 years, crack the wood and displace the caulking used to seal corners etc.
Vinyl is resistant to small hail, but those big hailstorms that roll through every few years does millions of dollars in damage to homes, and most of that is Vinyl having to be replaced. Hardie board is a much better option, but it's about 2x the cost which is why greedy developers rarely use it.

Back