News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I appreciate the tough position the City is in in this situation, but I can't help but wonder, what if it had been Peters' Drive-In that had burned down, and not a DQ. I'm definitely sympathetic to the business owners. Hopefully they can find some resolution, particularly with their insurance company. I think the City's decision may ultimately benefit the landowner (or at least the landowner's daughter since the landowner may never see this property redeveloped in their lifetime) because I can't imagine how the highest and best use of this property is a drive through restaurant.

Also, my understanding is that the Centre Street N Main Streets Project is tied to the Green Line, but I'm curious if anyone knows whether funding for the Centre Street N Main Streets Project comes from the general Main Streets Program funding, or from the Green Line Project funding. Given the current uncertainty with the Green Line, if the funding comes from the general Main Streets Program funding, I'd like to see that funding directed to some of the other Main Streets Projects instead. I'd also like to see some of the City's recent surplus put towards Main Streets.

CBC.ca: City paying to build parking lot on private land for Calgary Stampede.

A few weeks ago someone was asking about the construction activity along the tracks in Victoria park. I think this might be what's going on
Is it crazy to think that this is bit of a waste of money given Platform is like, 500 m away? I mean, I know walking under the rail line can be a mental barrier, but this just seems like parking cannibalism.

As Cornell’s wrote, and left out of her first column, and many suspected:
“Had Don Gordon, the 88-year-old owner of the property, applied to rebuild the exact same building on the site, the application would have been rubber-stamped.”

Is it crazy to think that this is bit of a waste of money given Platform is like, 500 m away? I mean, I know walking under the rail line can be a mental barrier, but this just seems like parking cannibalism.
I believe it is for VIP parking during the stampede - they need to pave it because can’t get mud on their boots now can they?

Yes, the Fire Station next to The Bow and Northwest Travellers Building.

It has been vacant for a year or more.

CF3549B9-155A-4094-AA48-B9A216356AB6.jpeg
FB47BB68-FE19-4BFC-B564-C9A28B1B317A.jpeg
929FE993-D34E-487C-AA49-77DC1770BDB2.jpeg

Back