News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

CBC.ca: City paying to build parking lot on private land for Calgary Stampede.

A few weeks ago someone was asking about the construction activity along the tracks in Victoria park. I think this might be what's going on
Is it crazy to think that this is bit of a waste of money given Platform is like, 500 m away? I mean, I know walking under the rail line can be a mental barrier, but this just seems like parking cannibalism.

Is it crazy to think that this is bit of a waste of money given Platform is like, 500 m away? I mean, I know walking under the rail line can be a mental barrier, but this just seems like parking cannibalism.
I believe it is for VIP parking during the stampede - they need to pave it because can’t get mud on their boots now can they?

I think maybe there was originally supposed to be some sort of type of construction starting and taking over one of the existing parking lots for possibly some type of building we haven’t heard much about, but that may be slightly on delay somewhat due to some lengthy discussions between a variety of the parties we think are involved and therefore we won’t know what’s really happening until all the parties get through all of their lengthy discussions but I’m sure they haven’t told anyone involved over at the construction of the new parking lot a couple blocks away to not bother right now cause of the delays over of construction over at the old parking lot and now it’s not really needed so soon, but that’s just our city efficiency showing through.

Victoria Park remains the plaything for the connected elite. Why have one publicly subsidized parking empire on prime inner city land when you can have two? Now the CSEC and Stampede can both compete for their own parking revenues. No one cares there's duplication and enormous waste because they get all the revenue with minimal cost and no taxation. It's all upside for CSEC and Stampede, and our public funding guarantees that.

Victoria Park remains the plaything for the connected elite. Why have one publicly subsidized parking empire on prime inner city land when you can have two? Now the CSEC and Stampede can both compete for their own parking revenues. No one cares there's duplication and enormous waste because they get all the revenue with minimal cost and no taxation. It's all upside for CSEC and Stampede, and our public funding guarantees that.
Plus Remington leasing the lot to tax exempt stampede both: gets a charity write off for his federal/provincial taxes AND most likely gets his land that is banked for development carrying cost reduced to near zero due to property tax avoidance.

it is no wonder the parcel is last in the development hierarchy - the tax arrangements make it the least affordable to redevelop.

add in that fancy proposal for development a few years back - want to bet it was just to increase the land value for when land was needed for a 5th st SE underpass? Which why do we need that anyways?

I think maybe there was originally supposed to be some sort of type of construction starting and taking over one of the existing parking lots for possibly some type of building we haven’t heard much about, but that may be slightly on delay somewhat due to some lengthy discussions between a variety of the parties we think are involved and therefore we won’t know what’s really happening until all the parties get through all of their lengthy discussions but I’m sure they haven’t told anyone involved over at the construction of the new parking lot a couple blocks away to not bother right now cause of the delays over of construction over at the old parking lot and now it’s not really needed so soon, but that’s just our city efficiency showing through.
Don't forget that this is also the path to guaranteed profits from these ventures, or so the suburban Councillor of Ward 1 claims.....

As Cornell’s wrote, and left out of her first column, and many suspected:
“Had Don Gordon, the 88-year-old owner of the property, applied to rebuild the exact same building on the site, the application would have been rubber-stamped.”
Would it be appropriate to rebuild a 50 year old restaurant exactly as it was?

Would it be appropriate to rebuild a 50 year old restaurant exactly as it was?
There is a bit of flexibility sure. but after a certain point, it is clear that it isn't the same, and requires a DP. And DPs can be rejected for not being compliant with local planning policy.

And since the media outrage is about the city not allowing them to rebuild: they are explicitly allowed to rebuild.

Back