News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I assume a lot are chains, so they may move their current liquor stores into the spots, become mini Shoppers Drug Marts (hello Loblaws!), or if they are properly corporatized just evaporate after they pay their last rent payment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cannabis-shops-calgary-rent-real-estate-1.4638413
Doesn't seem like cheaper is a way to describe it. Although, given that based on the bylaw rules, it is impossible for all of these shops to get approved, I wonder who will get left holding the bag when a good chunk of them don't get a permit.
IIRC the stores have to be a certain distance between other cannabis stores, I think 500m. If that's the case there will only be one, maybe two stores in Marda Loop, and a few others with long leases. Will be interesting to see it all play out.

It is a discretionary rule, so the development authority has the ability to "relax" it. However, given the Richmond CA's propensity to appeal most things, I expect any relaxation will be challenged in the Marda Loop area.

It's going to be interesting to watch, that's for sure. Lots of people are going to make a killing in the pot biz, and lots will end up losing their shirt. I can see 2 or 3 getting approval in Marda Loop, and some people will whine that it will affect the area in a negative way, but in a year everything will be business as usual and real estate prices will continue to climb.

So apparently a body was found inside the wall of the women's washroom on the 4th floor food court in the Core Mall, they aren't sure how long it's been there or even the gender :eek:. Maybe Suburbia on SSP was right about the "Construction Mafia"

So apparently a body was found inside the wall of the women's washroom on the 4th floor food court in the Core Mall, they aren't sure how long it's been there or even the gender :eek:. Maybe Suburbia on SSP was right about the "Construction Mafia"
I immediately thought of this Austin Powers scene when I heard that story:

Reactions: AJX

Seriously?

Update: The body is male. The current prevailing theory is that someone was crawling through the ventilation system and fell through and got stuck.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to watch, that's for sure. Lots of people are going to make a killing in the pot biz, and lots will end up losing their shirt. I can see 2 or 3 getting approval in Marda Loop, and some people will whine that it will affect the area in a negative way, but in a year everything will be business as usual and real estate prices will continue to climb.
Agreed. In the end it's retail just like the liquors stores that are around town.

Work looks to be starting on the Penn west-Gulf plus fifteen
15252049584992276440509764744572.jpg

Attachments

• 15252049584992276440509764744572.jpg
    15252049584992276440509764744572.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 296
It's about time, worst thing about Penn West is the lack of +15, how am I supposed to sneak out of the office during the day in the winter without anyone noticing?

http://www.crebnow.com/betting-on-bridgeland/
Builders behind Radius in Bridgeland are looking to rezone land south of Radius next to build a 15 storey tower with over 10 000 sqft. of retail on base level!

Wow, that's something else. While The Bridges is majority mid-rise I think mixing in a taller tower like this will work. Looking at the site if they were to concentrate the 15 storey section on the east end it would work well and keep sight lines to the south and southwest still nice and open for their Radius purchasers. Then taper the height down as it goes west to lead to 9th street with the increased retail presence he talks about in the article you linked.

Back