News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I was trying to think of what's there now. Just a little retail strip, that doesn't have much in the way of character, so yeah, this is a solid upgrade.

Image19.jpg

Attachments

• Image19.jpg
    Image19.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 295
Having the one next to it replaced by something cool would also be a win, it's even more hideous than what's in this spot currently.

Yeah that's a great looking building. I like the rotation of each level. Too bad they couldn't eat up the one beside it, as mentioned.

I believe the owners of that land attempted to acquire the Hillhurst Hardware building to do a larger scale development but they aren’t interested in selling. Which is great news because it forces a smaller scale building. Over time they will be rare as the rest of land on 10th is accumulated for larger scale developments.

I happen to quite like the existing mid century building but it’s not in very good shape.

I believe the owners of that land attempted to acquire the Hillhurst Hardware building to do a larger scale development but they aren’t interested in selling. Which is great news because it forces a smaller scale building. Over time they will be rare as the rest of land on 10th is accumulated for larger scale developments.

I happen to quite like the existing mid century building but it’s not in very good shape.
I'm kind of glad Hillhurst Hardware is still there, it may be ugly, but it's very useful to have a hardware store like that in the inner city.

I'm kind of glad Hillhurst Hardware is still there, it may be ugly, but it's very useful to have a hardware store like that in the inner city.

I wish Marda Loop had a hardware store. They are precious community resources! Why drive 8 km to a big box store when all you need are a couple screws or a pieces of sandpaper?

I wish Marda Loop had a hardware store. They are precious community resources! Why drive 8 km to a big box store when all you need are a couple screws or a pieces of sandpaper?
Canadian Tire coming into the Royal Block (16th Ave & 7th Street SW) is a huge win for the inner city for this reason alone.

Canadian Tire coming into the Royal Block (16th Ave & 7th Street SW) is a huge win for the inner city for this reason alone.

Plus they sell all sorts of household goods. It's like a Walmart in a sense, which is a type of store seriously lacking in the core (Westbrook isn't close enough!). I'll be interested to see if they somewhat customize their store selection for the inner city crowd.

I wonder how similar it will be to the one at Bay & Dundas in Toronto. Used to live across the street. IIRC, a large focus on household supplies, small appliances, vacuums, large kitchen/bath/laundry item section, paint, camping and sporting goods. Large seasonal sections. All hardware categories but only a fraction of the selection of a regular store. Very minimal automotive.

Back