News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Experiences at other forums

Hi Group,
For Me I'd Like to see more Projects brought Up as I think It adds more Variety to B Discussed even if there isn't much to Go on. I see Topics in the Herald (David Parker) and the Calgary Real Estate News Magazine etc. I'm Into Trains/Transit as Well so Transit is a Plus. On the Urban Toronto Site Go Transit/TTC Gets a Lot of Coverage.
True Toronto is Bigger by a Long Shot but We can Improve on this Site Really. OK I am NO Computer Wiz, but Others Are. Just my Dimes Worth. Hope Its OK.
Tnx Group,
Operater,

It saddens me greatly to see what SSP turned into over the last little while. It was at one time the first place to go for the latest on Calgary development, and we had lots of insider news and leaks. The majority of posters back then were people who loved the city, loved development, loved art and infrastructure and everything else. It was also moderated... never heavily, but there were people who would intervene and steer conversations. The Canada section became unbearable too, and sadly it was only a small handful who were Calgary haters, but they ruined it.

I like the forum as is, but I can imagine how it will probably evolve as technology and applications advance:
- even easier camera-to-website posting
- some kind of encouragement and auto sorting photos
- more video and audio media
- even better, more transparent media from c.c. minutes
- better map integration

I like the forum as is, but I can imagine how it will probably evolve as technology and applications advance:
- better map integration

Please clarify. For example how do you envision better map integration?

Please clarify. For example how do you envision better map integration?
I'm a big fan of how it is now, but I imagine one day you might be able to take a time-stamped photo or video on your phone, and automatically it could add to the project on the map page without the user needing to manually direct it as such because the location data is shared.

I guess what I envision is that I'm walking around with my smartphone, I see a building I think is interesting, and because my phone knows my location and the direction I'm looking, my phone tells me everything I need to know: the proprietor (if public), the assessed property value (if public), construction completion, floor plans, former uses, news, council discussions on the parcel, etc. It would be great for historic buildings too. If I take a photo and have signed SkyRise Cities user agreements, the photo can be automatically added to the database/forum for that project because my phone knows my location and the direction I'm looking. If I see a developer's renders at an open house, or a photo on twitter, flickr, intagram, etc, I can automatically share it to SRC and automatically attribute photo credit to it's source. All photos are sorted by date automatically, and comments stack to photos rather than purely quotes and replies, but I think the map is the part around which everything revolves. I fear that if SRC and SSP don't eventually do this, someone else will - but it's probably 5-10 years out.

It's like Pokemon Go meets SRC.

Another thing I'm curious to see how it evolves is how to better extract information from the forum. As it is now, sometimes I read through several pages before I get a sense of what exactly is being discussed, and there can be a lot of filler/off topic posts. SSP is much worse usually. I don't know what the answer is - maybe Reddit style upvotes, maybe sorting/highlighting posts with most likes, maybe mods have the power to somehow highlight new announcements/rumours etc (a lot to ask, I know), maybe TL;DR bots, maybe colour coding posts based on whether they are editorial or news or jokes/smalltalk - not sure, but I think this is something that forum sites will experiment with in years to come. Organizing conversations is a tricky business.

Anyway, thanks & keep up the good work!

It saddens me greatly to see what SSP turned into over the last little while. It was at one time the first place to go for the latest on Calgary development, and we had lots of insider news and leaks. The majority of posters back then were people who loved the city, loved development, loved art and infrastructure and everything else. It was also moderated... never heavily, but there were people who would intervene and steer conversations.
That sums up the situation. A good group of people back in its heyday, and somehow it went downhill. I can't put a finger on it, but i would say a few different factors all happening at the same time. Some not so good contributors and the lack of moderation, some of the good contributors contributing less.

- better map integration

I find the little camera icon in the upper corner is the easiest way to post the pics.

I planned to go on a big rip tearing rant about SSP, but it seemed kind of pointless so I deleted my three or four paragraphs of ranting. At the end of the day things are good at this site, I only hope it stays that way.

I used to regularly visit SSC, and mostly to look at skyscrapers in Asia. I dropped into the prairies and Calgary section a few times but it was never much happening. The Calgary section didn't ever have anyone from Calgary posting. I checked out SSP once and in the construction section there was a debate about prostitution and legalising pot.

Welcome to the light, sir! We're happy to have you. :)

I have a friend who has a very ambitious development plan in the city that is now partially financed for phase 1. He is working on sustainable development where the water heating systems would be used for hydroponics that would be sold by one of the retail outlets in the building. Can't really say much more but it's this type of innovative thinking that this city needs.

This is really fantastic news. I know you said you can't say much more, but any word on the neighbourhood? I'd imagine inner city.

Back