News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I would give anything to see that land developed into a mix use of residential and retail, and have the pedestrian walkway go all the train station.

I would give anything to see that land developed into a mix use of residential and retail, and have the pedestrian walkway go all the train station.
The parcels:
upload_2017-12-12_9-54-58.png

The parcels along 61 Ave haven't changed hands since 1995, 1998, 2001.

Chinook on the other hand broke the Shell station out to a different parcel in 2015 - possibly making it easier to develop other parts without needing an environmental report each time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_9-54-58.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-54-58.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 356
I've heard rumours CF own some of the land across MacLeod Tr and will one day expand the mall to the other side of the street as well. No idea if this is true though...
Definitely true, the timing is just a big question mark (might have to wait a long, long time). CF owns the parcel on the north side of 61st Ave, between 1a and 3 St SW, where the Scotia Bank is.

On the same block as my building. Interesting. Also Boardwalk is revamping their property on 4th street and 14th Ave enough to need construction fencing. Changing into 'luxury' rentals.
Any idea who is behind the new tower? Strange that it goes to DP before this board has at least heard some hints of it.

The parcel I'd like to see developed first is the parcel directly across Macleod on the south side of 61st. You could easily interface it with the LRT station, and in fact, I'd even support closure of 1a street if it meant a developer could incorporate the Chinook station into a retail development.

Any idea who is behind the new tower? Strange that it goes to DP before this board has at least heard some hints of it.
No clue at all. I'm trying to arrange a permit visit, and hopefully that will shed some light. Some permits don't have the developer's name on them, but most do, so hopefully we'll find out soon.

Back to the Chinook Bridge: it's great for pedestrians, sure. But a new crosswalk on the south side of the intersection with great signal timing would have provided nearly equal accessibility, without the grade-change. We built the bridge because of the need of drivers to not be inconvenienced, not because it was the best/easiest way to improve pedestrian mobility.
In this case as a pedestrian I would much rather cross MacLeod in a covered walkway overhead than at a street level crosswalk. I suppose they could have had the cars go under a grade level pedestrian crossing - hmmmm.

No clue at all. I'm trying to arrange a permit visit, and hopefully that will shed some light. Some permits don't have the developer's name on them, but most do, so hopefully we'll find out soon.

Another residential permit application surprise. That whole block is older rental buildings so chances are this one will be as well.

Another residential permit application surprise. That whole block is older rental buildings so chances are this one will be as well.
They just keep coming. I guess with the latest CMHC stats showing newer generation buildings in the Beltline (buildings built after 2000) at a 2.6% vacancy rate, it does seem like there is a legit market.

Definitely true, the timing is just a big question mark (might have to wait a long, long time). CF owns the parcel on the north side of 61st Ave, between 1a and 3 St SW, where the Scotia Bank is.
Would be interesting to see how they would tie it all in now that the pedestrian bridge is on the south side and they have property on the north side of 61st. Will be a long ways away now though...

Would be interesting to see how they would tie it all in now that the pedestrian bridge is on the south side and they have property on the north side of 61st. Will be a long ways away now though...
Yeah, their first development priority is the east parking lot of the mall (Kal-Tire site and north to the other side of 61st Ave). That project will take many years alone.

I'm seeing tweets that there is a fire on one of the balconies at 903 - 10th ave (Mark on 10th)

Last edited:
Nothing on the news anywhere about injuries or fatalities, so that's good news. Hopefully it doesn't take much to fix it.

I was chatting to an architect once about what to do with all of the underground parking if "parking" was no longer a needed use. Her suggestion, which I thought was brilliant, was conversion to hydroponic agricultural uses. I am sure there would be some mechanical design issues to sort out, but I thought it was a brilliant idea.

I have a friend who has a very ambitious development plan in the city that is now partially financed for phase 1. He is working on sustainable development where the water heating systems would be used for hydroponics that would be sold by one of the retail outlets in the building. Can't really say much more but it's this type of innovative thinking that this city needs.

Back