News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

Usually I’d post this in one of the photo threads... but 17th was so packed yesterday it nearly gave me a panic attack. We’re seeing the biggest surge in Canada since Quebec’s first wave disaster... yet restaurants are allowing lineups along the sidewalk 😰😰😰

View attachment 318172View attachment 318173View attachment 318174View attachment 318175
Terrible. If I could, I would invite them all to my COVID unit at FMC this week for a visit. Make them help prone our patients so they can survive the night.

Ugh. I'm sorry you have to see such horrors man, that is terrible. Stay strong, we need you guys.

I feel like we’re so close to the finish line, The finish line being almost everyone vaccinated and very low case numbers. We just need to hang tough 3-4 more weeks and cases and hospitalization will drop significantly.
If we do the hard work now, we can be good to go for the summer, including a Stampede this year.

Influx of new members sometimes brings interesting characters. Some lack any sense or wits, too.

Covid-Karen: I hadn't heard that one before. Is that something a Covidiot made up to make themselves feel better? Are you that moron that was painted like Braveheart at the Whistle Stop protest of twelve dummies?

Got my first poke today, about 5 hours ago now. Pfizer, no side effects except very light bruising. Super smooth process at the convention centre; was in and out in 25 minutes despite it being fully busy, plus they were handing out bottles of sanitizer and free bus tickets on the way out which I thought was cool. The lady handed me two transit passes, so that'll be a nice 7 bucks saved for my way to/from work tomorrow:p

There is a huge disparity between the U.S. and Canada with respect to 'reopening'. Virtually all of Canada has reacted recently to the 3rd wave as it did to the 1st wave, for the most part. There is no clear delineation from province to province of when things might re-open. Every province is either making it up as they go along (Ontario and Quebec) or reluctant to say anything (Alberta) for fear of acting too soon.
The optimism in the U.S. appears to be based around the 33+% of the population who are fully vaccinated. However just over 50% of the population has received at least one dose. Neither statistic is anywhere close to the definition of herd immunity yet their case counts have dropped considerably over the last two months. Think about this ... sports stadiums in most states will be able to go to full capacity within weeks 🤔
Canada is on par with the U.S with the number of one doses but we are lagging far behind on the number fully vaccinated. We won't catch up until supply of vaccines catches up. Canada seems to have been hit harder (in terms of cases) with the variants compared to the U.S.
Under the headline of 'Please Explain This' .... there are states like Florida who have been 'open' since late last summer. They did not see serious outcomes form either the 2nd or 3rd wave (spring break was right in the middle of it) even though health experts criticized state government for doing so.
All I know is, we all live on the same continent. Although the land border has been closed, air travel between the two countries as well as internationally has been open throughout the pandemic. We still don't know how long the vaccine immunity will last. There are already rumblings of a 3rd booster shot being required after a year from the the first one. Where does that put Canada on the timetable of re-opening and for how long before we see cases ramp up again and we panic?

There is a huge disparity between the U.S. and Canada with respect to 'reopening'. Virtually all of Canada has reacted recently to the 3rd wave as it did to the 1st wave, for the most part. There is no clear delineation from province to province of when things might re-open. Every province is either making it up as they go along (Ontario and Quebec) or reluctant to say anything (Alberta) for fear of acting too soon.
The optimism in the U.S. appears to be based around the 33+% of the population who are fully vaccinated. However just over 50% of the population has received at least one dose. Neither statistic is anywhere close to the definition of herd immunity yet their case counts have dropped considerably over the last two months. Think about this ... sports stadiums in most states will be able to go to full capacity within weeks 🤔
Canada is on par with the U.S with the number of one doses but we are lagging far behind on the number fully vaccinated. We won't catch up until supply of vaccines catches up. Canada seems to have been hit harder (in terms of cases) with the variants compared to the U.S.
Under the headline of 'Please Explain This' .... there are states like Florida who have been 'open' since late last summer. They did not see serious outcomes form either the 2nd or 3rd wave (spring break was right in the middle of it) even though health experts criticized state government for doing so.
All I know is, we all live on the same continent. Although the land border has been closed, air travel between the two countries as well as internationally has been open throughout the pandemic. We still don't know how long the vaccine immunity will last. There are already rumblings of a 3rd booster shot being required after a year from the the first one. Where does that put Canada on the timetable of re-opening and for how long before we see cases ramp up again and we panic?
One could also make a case that Florida hasn't done well. Even today 50% of the state has received at least one dose, and 12% of the population has already had covid, plus the people who have had covid and haven't reported it or didn't know that they had it. Florida is somewhere around 60% of the people either vaccinated or have already had it, yet their death rate is still much higher than Alberta's. Their death rate has been higher all the way through our 3rd wave. I don't have the stats for Florida's death rate since last summer, but in total since the pandemic started, they have had 18 times as many deaths as Alberta, despite 4 times the population. I would look at Alberta as having seen three waves come through, whereas Florida has been on a constant wave the whole time.

The case rate is important but not the leading indicator IMO. In many of the US states people have simply stopped bothering to get tested. Nobody really knows how many cases are out there, but the death rate is conclusive.

The entire rest of the article under 'Please Explain This' is that 36,500 people in Florida have died of Covid-19.

(90% of them since the surge that started last July when the state cancelled all local restrictions).
1621963442148.png

The part that needs explaining, I think, is that you don't seem to think tens of thousands of deaths are a serious outcome.

The part that needs explaining, I think, is that you don't seem to think tens of thousands of deaths are a serious outcome.
I don't know how you construed anything about 'total deaths' from my remarks.
However one could argue that Florida has a far higher percentage of their population that is right in the wheelhouse of this disease ... age 65+ and pre-existing health conditions ... than say Alberta. Therefore one could conclude that a higher death rate was expected if not from COVID but almost anything else. As far as I know, Florida's health care system was not overwhelmed.

I don't know how you construed anything about 'total deaths' from my remarks.
However one could argue that Florida has a far higher percentage of their population that is right in the wheelhouse of this disease ... age 65+ and pre-existing health conditions ... than say Alberta. Therefore one could conclude that a higher death rate was expected if not from COVID but almost anything else. As far as I know, Florida's health care system was not overwhelmed.
There definitely would be more seniors in florida, but they also have the advantage of warmer weather. Alberta was doing great until fall came and the weather cooled off. As soon as people started gathering indoors the numbers started taking off. It's hard to compare any two jurisdictions due to the different factors: demographics, climate, politics, geography etc.. but the end of the day though, there's really only one thing that drives the virus spread, it's people being in contact with other people. Whatever the case with Florida it had a different effect.

Florida 2.313M cases 36,582 deaths 21.477M people
Alberta 225K cases 2,192 deaths 4.436M people

16.6 times the death rate - part of that could be age demographics
10.3 times the case rate
4.84 times the population

Well it is what we have been waiting for. A reopening plan with clearly defined goals and measures. The ultimate target is 70% of people, 12 years and up, vaccinated with at least one dose, and life is pretty much back to normal. The forecast in achieving this is early July which will satisfy The Stampede in whatever modified version that is going to be. There are other festivals and events (i.e Folk Festival) that need a lot of planning, booking and co-ordination. It remains to be seen which ones can pull it off with this rather late notice. I just hope this means no more going backwards. I guess that is dependent on the vaccines working for an indefinite period of time.

p.s Maybe by early July, B.C. will roll out the welcome mat for Albertans! 😁

The reopening plan looks solid. I'm excited! God I love having the UCP and Jason Kenney in power right now. The NDP would have screwed things up so bad.

Back