News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

If the government had enacted these measures when Drs first recommended them (November 9th) we could be talking about a semi-normal (not normal, but semi) christmas. The government did not "trust the public", the government willfully chose to espouse libertarian views contrary to almost every other government in Canada (and most of the developed world) in order to appease their precepted base of rural voters. Make no mistake, it was always a political decision to the leaders of this government. That is also why Jason took the first 5 minutes yesterday to fellate himself in front of the national media before then making obtusely hypocritical arguments about ensuring charter rights.

Kenney and his group of cronies should wear this failure forever. They have presided over one of the worst human disasters in the history of our province, and one where we have now become a laughing stock of the country and developed world. We are a punchline. I am a long time PC party member who accepted UCP party membership, I will never again make this mistake.

I understand the sentiment to try and keep businesses open, but in the end they really needed to do this properly in the first place. So many people told them that but they didn't listen, and now the Christmas season is screwed (more than it needed to be) and a lot more people have died than was needed, not to mention our health care workers are getting more and more burned out than was needed.

Also, I'm not going to forget how he went on and on about businesses and people's freedoms, but hardly mentioned people dying or at risk from Covid. Seriously people's freedoms? I wish I could send Kenny back in time to Auschwitz, so he can gain a true understanding of the word 'freedom'.I used to vote for the PCs in the past, but they'll never get my vote until they re-invent themselves.

If the government had enacted these measures when Drs first recommended them (November 9th) we could be talking about a semi-normal (not normal, but semi) christmas. The government did not "trust the public", the government willfully chose to espouse libertarian views contrary to almost every other government in Canada (and most of the developed world) in order to appease their precepted base of rural voters. Make no mistake, it was always a political decision to the leaders of this government. That is also why Jason took the first 5 minutes yesterday to fellate himself in front of the national media before then making obtusely hypocritical arguments about ensuring charter rights.

Kenney and his group of cronies should wear this failure forever. They have presided over one of the worst human disasters in the history of our province, and one where we have now become a laughing stock of the country and developed world. We are a punchline. I am a long time PC party member who accepted UCP party membership, I will never again make this mistake.

I understand the sentiment to try and keep businesses open, but in the end they really needed to do this properly in the first place. So many people told them that but they didn't listen, and now the Christmas season is screwed (more than it needed to be) and a lot more people have died than was needed, not to mention our health care workers are getting more and more burned out than was needed.

Also, I'm not going to forget how he went on and on about businesses and people's freedoms, but hardly mentioned people dying or at risk from Covid. Seriously people's freedoms? I wish I could send Kenny back in time to Auschwitz, so he can gain a true understanding of the word 'freedom'.I used to vote for the PCs in the past, but they'll never get my vote until they re-invent themselves.

I largely agree with your points, but I want to caution that invoking the Holocaust is a dog whistle tactic that is likely just to diminish your overall argument.

It's true, Kenney's opinion of "freedoms" is not mired in a factual basis, instead it is a political avenue to encourage the libertarian crowd and signal to them that he shares their limited capacity for understanding the social contract.

For sure, I mean sending Kenny back in time to Auschwitz was an exaggeration. In a more serious context, he could easily travel to some other countries around the world to get a better idea of what freedom truly is.
I largely agree with your points, but I want to caution that invoking the Holocaust is a dog whistle tactic that is likely just to diminish your overall argument.

It's true, Kenney's opinion of "freedoms" is not mired in a factual basis, instead it is a political avenue to encourage the libertarian crowd and signal to them that he shares their limited capacity for understanding the social contract.

Last edited:
I just agreed with Rick Bell for maybe the first time ever. lol. On a serious note, the UCP party makes me sick to my stomach.

He had another good article this morning. Rick Bell is ANGRY. I feel it too... I was waiting out front of timmies for the lady to drop off my back of timbits and a few take 12s I am coffee bribing folks with today. There was a group of 3 older males sitting in their cars with their windows rolled down talking to each other loudly about how angry they were about this. "They even lost one of the fuckers" one of them kept repeating! These were no doubt oilfield workers (one was in a welding truck) and frankly are the ideal UCP voter. My father who worked in Oil his whole life, convinced me to join the PC party when i was 14 and had me volunteering for them subsequently, made his first public facebook post in 2 years to lament about it. I have never felt this kind of anger before.

The hypocrisy demonstrated by Alberta government officials over the holiday period has been mirrored in other provinces and countries. This is another reason why most of us don't like politicians of any stripe. They lie. They don't 'talk to the talk, walk the walk'. When confronted with their behaviour, most try and wiggle out of the situation or make excuses.

Reminder that Kenny will likely never resign, and that ~20 MLA's would have to leave the caucus to spark an election. The other option is just ousting him as leader of the party, but its clear that it's not just Kenny who is the problem. Next election in 2 years. I don't want to say he's going to lose because just look how much has changed in 10 months, but I don't see an easy recovery or anyone forgetting about this anytime soon.

For the record I'm also extremely upset, just not surprised.

The hypocrisy demonstrated by Alberta government officials over the holiday period has been mirrored in other provinces and countries. This is another reason why most of us don't like politicians of any stripe. They lie. They don't 'talk to the talk, walk the walk'. When confronted with their behaviour, most try and wiggle out of the situation or make excuses.

I see what you're saying, but don't entiiiirely agree, at least in Alberta's case. Out of the 24 NDP members of the legislature, 0 of them went on a "holiday" vacation.

Reminder that Kenny will likely never resign, and that ~20 MLA's would have to leave the caucus to spark an election. The other option is just ousting him as leader of the party, but its clear that it's not just Kenny who is the problem. Next election in 2 years. I don't want to say he's going to lose because just look how much has changed in 10 months, but I don't see an easy recovery or anyone forgetting about this anytime soon.

For the record I'm also extremely upset, just not surprised.
Of course he won't resign. But I know he's heard the message. I would like to see the MLAs demoted today also be ejected from caucus (also unlikely to happen, especially with a Nixon bro among them). They would still support legislation brought on by the gov and likely vote in line with them for the most part. Follow the NDP model with regards to Deborah Drever even. IMO, it's the only way to even get any more than a morsel of trust back from the populace.

Regarding the "Step 1" easing of restrictions on February 8th, can I get some opinions/clarity around the fitness center restrictions?

Do I read it correctly in that gyms are not opening? Rather, you can book a personal training session, and it can be hosted at the gym, but that is it? So, if I have a membership at Goodlife, I can't go there to use the treadmill or weight equipment? I understand no fitness classes, but what about self directed exercise? And, I guess more specific to the situation I am most curious about, gyms that are common amenity areas for apartment/condo buildings?

Also, I don't see any mention about swimming pools. Just looking for clarity, hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Regarding the "Step 1" easing of restrictions on February 8th, can I get some opinions/clarity around the fitness center restrictions?

Do I read it correctly in that gyms are not opening? Rather, you can book a personal training session, and it can be hosted at the gym, but that is it? So, if I have a membership at Goodlife, I can't go there to use the treadmill or weight equipment? I understand no fitness classes, but what about self directed exercise? And, I guess more specific to the situation I am most curious about, gyms that are common amenity areas for apartment/condo buildings?

Also, I don't see any mention about swimming pools. Just looking for clarity, hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Only 1 on 1 training is allowed in Step 1. With the training with masks on, and the trainer cleaning and enforcing distancing, it should be far less risky. No self directed exercise. The virus is really infectious--distancing, cleaning, and ventilation rules followed perfectly (and likely not so perfectly too) was not preventing the virus.

Apparently the gyms are leaving it to people to decide, lots still doing cardio and high intensity workouts. Lots of machines are roped off, but some still open and are being used apparently.

This thread has been dormant for a month. Even though it is still the 'topic du jour', I guess everyone is just tired of it.

Hospitalizations are now over 400 in Alberta. Before this variant took charge, we were under 300 and stable. This is the number that has everyone worried and will most certainly lead to tougher restrictions if it does not start declining.

Back