News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

If you look at this story from only a few months ago, it is all about secondary home owners. https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/01/15/cranbrook-kimberly-interprovincial-travel-ban/

Older one welcoming Albertans: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-we-love-you-b-c-s-columbia-valley-woos-back-albertans-1.4968324?cache=qpcupizl?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true

Plenty of the push back on closures has come from the secondary home crowd.

We could have closed the borders. And the worst part is -- after COVID zero there would have been no internal need anymore. It is another short term pain for very long term gain. Acting like we couldn't because were special in a bad way is justt
If you look at this story from only a few months ago, it is all about secondary home owners. https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/01/15/cranbrook-kimberly-interprovincial-travel-ban/

Older one welcoming Albertans: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-we-love-you-b-c-s-columbia-valley-woos-back-albertans-1.4968324?cache=qpcupizl?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true

Plenty of the push back on closures has come from the secondary home crowd.

We could have closed the borders. And the worst part is -- after COVID zero there would have been no internal need anymore. It is another short term pain for very long term gain. Acting like we couldn't because were special in a bad way is just defeatism.
So some rich people with secondary houses complained to our government along with with some towns like Kimberly and Cranbrook, complaing to their government but that’s not why BC chose to keep the borders open. It’s also not reason other provinces kept their borders open.

Having a number of Alberta cabinet ministers with second homes in BC wouldn’t have helped, but I doubt that’s the reason the borders stayed open.
They stayed open for the same reason as other provinces. Lack of will to create a large disruption.

At the end of the day we've learned this virus can be controlled and contained if people can be controlled and contained, and conversely it can't be controlled unless people are willing to buy in and live with a few sacrifices. It's bad enough we let Inter-provincial travel happen freely, we even let people travel in and out of the country for vacations! When people did travel in and out of the country or to another province there was little to no quarantine enforcement. There was little to no enforcement in mask bylaws or gatherings. Companies felt it was more important to have people come into the office and put their employees at risk even when they could have done the job from home. There are plenty of other examples of mishandling.

For a supposedly advanced and developed country, it's been a failure.

Does anyone think they will throw open the doors for all to be vaccinated soon? Rather frustrating seeing places like Telus convention center not even being used at 10% of capacity. How much further ahead would we be if we just now made it a free for all? How long do we give these at risk groups to get there's, before we can say they have had enough of a headstart.

I don't know where the people are posting from who think that it was never possible to stop Covid because of our population or our neighbours or our trade patterns or whatever other excuse they have (except political will).

But I think it was possible if the government had prioritized it, and I'm posting from one of the blue areas on the map below.

rats.png

It was never possible to 'stop COVID' in this country or most democratic countries for that matter and not due to lack of political will. The reason is plain and simple. A certain percentage of the population ignores guidelines, goes out of their way to resist and believes in civil liberties over public health. Short of adopting totalitarian policies, there is nothing government can do about that.

Last edited:
When it comes to viruses there seems to be a sliding scale. Colds for example aren't normally dangerous, and thus there is no will at all to stop the spread. People come into work all the time with colds. With the flu, a more dangerous virus than the cold, there is more public will to control it with public flu shots, and a general practice that people stay home when they have the flu. We get to covid, and it has been taken more seriously than the flu, but not enough in my mind. Too many people think it's not much worse than a cold or flu. My brother in law has posted several times on Facebook that covid is nothing more than the flu. Each time he posts articles or statistics he thinks is backing his claim - and each time I correct him. Yet he still posts the same garbage.

At the end of the day we've learned this virus can be controlled and contained if people can be controlled and contained, and conversely it can't be controlled unless people are willing to buy in and live with a few sacrifices. It's bad enough we let Inter-provincial travel happen freely, we even let people travel in and out of the country for vacations! When people did travel in and out of the country or to another province there was little to no quarantine enforcement. There was little to no enforcement in mask bylaws or gatherings. Companies felt it was more important to have people come into the office and put their employees at risk even when they could have done the job from home. There are plenty of other examples of mishandling.

For a supposedly advanced and developed country, it's been a failure.
I agree with this. We had all the tools we need in our existing laws, financial capacities and heath act rules - the failure is one of governance. Our government failed to act, instead always waiting too late to implement half-measures when full measures were needed, peddled myths, lies and coddled right up to a growing conspiracy-laden/"freedom"/anti-mask crew helping peddle their myths. Combined with a complete cross-party disregard of the responsibilities of being in elected office (Hawaii vacations anyone?) it's been an appalling failure of government and our political class.

It's just like our idiotic blue ribbon panel to look at Alberta's fiscal problems but limit them to only look at spending, not revenue. Minimize a pandemic, but don't use any of our rules and laws we have to really limit people's civil liberties that would make a difference in emergencies. You can beat pandemics, but you can't if you willingly don't use all the tools your already have. Indeed that's why we invented these tools in the first place was exactly for emergencies like this.

I am a bit angry today because I currently am at home with COVID - it is definitely worse than the flu or a cold and I am young and healthy. Not to be too dramatic - but now that I have it, it's no wonder millions are dead around the world from this. It's brutal and the way it attacks your lungs is not like something I have experienced. I have followed every precaution - no malls, no indoor dining, no crowds, no house guests for a year - but got it through my partner who works at a school. The very same schools that have been safe, with "minimal transmission" according to our leaders since the beginning. I think Kenney said as late as last week that the virus isn't spreading at schools, despite outbreaks at 30% of the province's schools. It's all just a bunch of children's birthday parties apparently.

We have rules and laws that limit personal freedoms in extraordinary circumstances for a reason. This is an extraordinary circumstance and our provincial government failed to act, lying, blaming others and obfuscating the truth to the detriment of lives and the economy. Ironically, giving too much weight to the "personal freedom" perspective, I worry we have actually undone ourselves in the long run. We have proved that when the chips are down and lives are at stake we really won't do what it takes. That doesn't bode well for free, democratic societies in the long run. They don't tend to stay free and democratic forever if they can't be trusted to protect people's lives.

I agree with this. We had all the tools we need in our existing laws, financial capacities and heath act rules - the failure is one of governance. Our government failed to act, instead always waiting too late to implement half-measures when full measures were needed, peddled myths, lies and coddled right up to a growing conspiracy-laden/"freedom"/anti-mask crew helping peddle their myths. Combined with a complete cross-party disregard of the responsibilities of being in elected office (Hawaii vacations anyone?) it's been an appalling failure of government and our political class.

It's just like our idiotic blue ribbon panel to look at Alberta's fiscal problems but limit them to only look at spending, not revenue. Minimize a pandemic, but don't use any of our rules and laws we have to really limit people's civil liberties that would make a difference in emergencies. You can beat pandemics, but you can't if you willingly don't use all the tools your already have. Indeed that's why we invented these tools in the first place was exactly for emergencies like this.

I am a bit angry today because I currently am at home with COVID - it is definitely worse than the flu or a cold and I am young and healthy. Not to be too dramatic - but now that I have it, it's no wonder millions are dead around the world from this. It's brutal and the way it attacks your lungs is not like something I have experienced. I have followed every precaution - no malls, no indoor dining, no crowds, no house guests for a year - but got it through my partner who works at a school. The very same schools that have been safe, with "minimal transmission" according to our leaders since the beginning. I think Kenney said as late as last week that the virus isn't spreading at schools, despite outbreaks at 30% of the province's schools. It's all just a bunch of children's birthday parties apparently.

We have rules and laws that limit personal freedoms in extraordinary circumstances for a reason. This is an extraordinary circumstance and our provincial government failed to act, lying, blaming others and obfuscating the truth to the detriment of lives and the economy. Ironically, giving too much weight to the "personal freedom" perspective, I worry we have actually undone ourselves in the long run. We have proved that when the chips are down and lives are at stake we really won't do what it takes. That doesn't bode well for free, democratic societies in the long run. They don't tend to stay free and democratic forever if they can't be trusted to protect people's lives.
Really sorry to hear about the your covid case. I hope you recover and your family is safe.

I haven't had covid myself, but I understand the anger and frustration you must have. Not just toward our provincial government, but also our federal government. I'm reading today that India is the worst place on the planet right now for covid, and we still have daily flights coming in from India. I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems pretty stupid and unnecessary to me. And of course you have all those selfish people who have been taking vacations overseas. Selfish people exist and there's no way to get away from them, which as you said is where governance has failed. The Kenny administration has been a complete joke through all of this.

On another note, I see BC is again considering blocking the borders. I hope they do it, and I hope other provinces follow suit.

^ We have the quarantine hotels to hold the variants back at the gate. In hindsight, doing this policy around October would have been much better, for the purpose of variants alone. It turned out even people who were attempting to get real covid tests in India (and possibly elsewhere) before flights, many of them were counterfeit.

India is seeing an enormous spike in deaths. Their highest reported so far since the beginning with over 2000 a day for the last 3 days, and rising. So I guess that makes sense.

Back