News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

The U.S. has 60 million doses in storage of AZ vaccine they are going to give up to other countries. Canada, Mexico and India are on the list. They are just waiting for sign off from the health authorities that the doses were prepared properly. So it looks like we could be in for boost of AZ although it makes me wonder why the U.S is willing to part with it. They still have a long way to go for herd immunity.
AZ is unlikely to be approved in the USA in a reasonable time frame imo. https://www.wired.com/story/the-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-isnt-up-to-snuff/

In the USA the main issue is getting shots into arms - Canadian provinces are nearing or past the most vaccine hesitant red states now for shots in arms.

The AZ from the stockpile would have started expiring, which would be a great waste.

Shipping AZ out helps to reduce the backlash against not allowing USA companies to export freely, and not allowing export of even abundant feedstock materials.

Misunderstanding what COVID's biological exponential growth characteristics actually means has tricked people and decision-makers over and over, because it's hard to understand for many people (1) and many people are really incentivized to not understand it for selfish reasons (2). Witting and unwitting ignorance - exactly what science and statistics can help us with so we humans stand a better chance than animals during a pandemic.

Given the transmissibility and characteristics of the virus, if your case count is growing, you are inevitably going to fail. There is no "safe level" of COVID spread when it can balloon on you in a matter of weeks and herd immunity is not an option - it's too far away and the consequences of pursuing a natural immunity is a collapse of your health system, economy and the trauma of tens of thousand of dead in your society. This was all known by about February 2020 and remains true for this and all past and future highly transmissible, deadly diseases.

Exponential case growth is a biological certainty without social intervention. The right time to act is always sooner than you think - it will always be cheaper and less disruptive in the short and long term costs. The past year has proven that over and over again in small and big ways.

For example, with 10 cases you could contact trace them with a team of people each and have a health support person standing outside every one of their doors for two weeks to guarantee quarantine.

This approach would have seemed costly, harsh and an over-reaction to those that don't get/ don't want to understand exponential growth. But it's a fraction of the cost of a year of disruptions from months-at-a-time partial shutdowns throughout the economy with all the trauma of thousands of dead.
Not to mention the straight up cost of hospitalization. I saw a figure of $7,000 per day being the cost of running an ICU. That kind of money could employee a fair amount of contact tracers.

I feel for the restos and pubs, but something has to change, they also need to find a way to crackdown on people having gatherings at their homes. I still see that happening a fair bit. If I had it my way I'd go for a circuit breaker type shutdown. Shutting down malls for example. Go on an actual hard lockdown for a couple of weeks until we can get the numbers down again.

What is our percentage of population with the first jab? Just about all of my social circle and family have had their first, with parents having their second. I find it hard to reconcile that we have so many people with pretty good protection at this point, but still have such high numbers. What would this 3rd wave be if we didn't have vaccines at this point?

What is our percentage of population with the first jab? Just about all of my social circle and family have had their first, with parents having their second. I find it hard to reconcile that we have so many people with pretty good protection at this point, but still have such high numbers. What would this 3rd wave be if we didn't have vaccines at this point?
1st jabs, we are at 35% and most of those are seniors, which is somewhat reflected in the numbers of deaths, as we have been seeing high numbers for some time now, but a low death count. Looking at some of the US states, a few of them are over 50% and most are near that mark, and the cases are finally starting to drop. Might be the same for us here in Alberta, with so many having that 'American' mentality.

Jesus,

Alberta update:2433 cases on 20457 tests (11.9%+) , 646 in hospital (-3), 152 in ICU ,1 new death , 22504 active cases (+676)
and over 1700 variant cases reported today?! am I getting this right?

Deaths are in this wave are way less than the last one due to seniors being vaccinated. Hospitalizations seem to be leveling off. I guess I’m in the minority here but it seems to me that if we stay the course a few more weeks vaccinations will start to push down cases as well.

Deaths are in this wave are way less than the last one due to seniors being vaccinated. Hospitalizations seem to be leveling off. I guess I’m in the minority here but it seems to me that if we stay the course a few more weeks vaccinations will start to push down cases as well.
We need to stay the course vaccinations, keeping the pedal to the metal. At the same time with this variant being more dangerous to younger ages who aren’t vaccinated, now would be a good time to push for more restrictions and try and get this under control.

My worry is that our projections are based on how how the original variant spread. With this new variant it feels like we’re starting from scratch again.

The issue isn’t that we won’t likely turn this around. It is the damage we do in the mean time that is 100% unnecessary and serves no purpose except to keep Kenney in the Premier’s chair for a few extra weeks.

The issue isn’t that we won’t likely turn this around. It is the damage we do in the mean time that is 100% unnecessary and serves no purpose except to keep Kenney in the Premier’s chair for a few extra weeks.

My kid going to elementary school in person for the rest of this school year serves an important purpose. I'm not sure what restrictions are next on your menu but I let's not pretend there aren't tradeoffs here.

55+ have been eligible for vaccination for 4 weeks now, 65+ for 7 weeks. 94% of deaths have been in people 60+ so we have made vaccines available to those at the highest risk. One shot is ~90% effective at preventing hospitalization after 4 weeks, including against B117.

This is all armchair epidemiology, so I defer to the experts on the best course of action from here. I'm not going to be marching around complaining if there need to be more restrictions. But I can see the logic behind seeing a report like yesterday showing rising cases, stable hospitalizations, and few deaths, and saying, stay the course.

Back