News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

Liquor stores would definitely have to remain open. Alcohol withdrawal is potentially deadly. At the very least it would send many people rushing to the hospital with serious withdrawal symptoms.

Relatedly, I've heard from doctors that there has been a significant uptick in people coming to the hospital with alcohol-related health issues. Just think of people who are already heavy drinkers sitting around at home all day experiencing high levels of stress and having nothing to do.

Just came across this thread and figured i'd share a bit haha. I was sent home early from my university in New Brunswick about a week ago now and flew back on the 17th. Both flights had a load factor of maybe 50% at most and Pearson (where I connected) was incredibly dead. YYC on the other hand was busier. Ive been in self isolation since I got back because I don't doubt that at some point in my travel I was exposed to someone that had Covid-19.

I found a useful website on Reddit courtesy of John Hopkins showing an interactive map of the spread.

Linked here

Interesting to browse and see how different parts of the world are being affected, by now some of the provinces in China how fewer than 10 remaining cases left. Guess it isn't hard to tell people not to leave their homes in an authoritarian regime.

https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/03...nce-in-high-density-areas-during-coronavirus/

Calgary design ideas help physical distance in high density areas during coronavirus

wider-sidewalks-o2.jpg

Coronavirus giving use the urban utopia we deserve, in a slightly dystopian fashion.

Haha. The main government stimulus package doesn't cover anyone not eligible for EI, and for the one for people who don't qualify for EI, you still had to have made 5 grand last year. So my life is basically over. Wooopwoop. At least it's quicker than Covid.

Having COVID does not mean instant hospitalization and death is a very remote outcome. For the last 3 weeks since testing and reporting has become more robust, hospitalizations in Alberta have ranged from 5-7% of total cases.
Alberta may be an outlier compared to other population bases but these are certainly not 'pandemic like' numbers. Could it get worse ... of course … but the ratio could also stay in this range.

Having COVID does not mean instant hospitalization and death is a very remote outcome. For the last 3 weeks since testing and reporting has become more robust, hospitalizations in Alberta have ranged from 5-7% of total cases.
Alberta may be an outlier compared to other population bases but these are certainly not 'pandemic like' numbers. Could it get worse ... of course … but the ratio could also stay in this range.
Alberta may be able to 'South Korea' or 'Japan' ourselves.

Haha. The main government stimulus package doesn't cover anyone not eligible for EI, and for the one for people who don't qualify for EI, you still had to have made 5 grand last year. So my life is basically over. Wooopwoop. At least it's quicker than Covid.
Apply and if they screen you out, at least they will know you were out there and not eligible, so they can fix it.

You need it, let the government screen you out, do not screen yourself out. The government has alluded to that people that get it in error it will just become an interest free loan, and imagine the government ever trying to collect on it.

Apply and if they screen you out, at least they will know you were out there and not eligible, so they can fix it.

You need it, let the government screen you out, do not screen yourself out. The government has alluded to that people that get it in error it will just become an interest free loan, and imagine the government ever trying to collect on it.

I was on EI last year and am currently a student. Pretty sure I don't qualify for any of the benefits offered, including EI again. I'm still going to apply, its always worth a shot I think ?‍♂️ . I am at least in the works of deferring what bills I can.

Definitely there's no harm in applying, you might end up getting it. Things are pretty chaotic right now.

I was on EI last year and am currently a student. Pretty sure I don't qualify for any of the benefits offered, including EI again. I'm still going to apply, its always worth a shot I think ?‍♂️ . I am at least in the works of deferring what bills I can.

I'm still going to apply. Not expecting a miracle though. There's next to no chance for me. Even the pre-pandemic Alberta emergency assistance - which I was referred to by the mental health distress centre - denied me flat out.

There has to be a way for you to get some assistance, people can't just go without money for the next month or two.

I'm down to a 4 day work week with a 20% pay cut and am working from home now. All in all this has been an interesting few weeks but life goes on. Tool Shed will let you order online and they will deliver beer to your house, just need to find the same thing with weed and I can pretty much quarantine lol.

Hope everyone is doing good, strange days for sure...

Back