• Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No a lot has changed since last update but I'll post it anyways:

41828037945_0b6de0ca15_h.jpg

41828002195_17e3a0f7b2_h.jpg

41828000505_a06e9c9a4a_h.jpg

28854078118_6eccd6cfb5_b.jpg

Between First, ALT Hotel, Verve, N3 and Hilton there sure are a lot of black and greys dominating the East Village skyline. Here's hoping we get some contrasting splashes of colour in the next round of construction. That being said, I do really like how Verve is turning out.

fullsizeoutput_108d.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_108d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_108d.jpeg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 409
Between First, ALT Hotel, Verve, N3 and Hilton there sure are a lot of black and greys dominating the East Village skyline. Here's hoping we get some contrasting splashes of colour in the next round of construction. That being said, I do really like how Verve is turning out.

Agreed, East Village could definitely use some colour.

I've been saying the same thing about the monochrome colour palette too, but in it's defence it is something that helps differentiate it from the rest of downtown and feel like it's own separate neighbourhood. No other part of Calgary really looks like that. On the flip side, I gave Ink high marks in my vote because it has considerably more colour than anything else.

Colour aside, I think Verve as a tower is exceeding my expectations. I really can't wait till both sides are done.

My expations too. Verve has turned out well IMO.
I've been saying the same thing about the monochrome colour palette too, but in it's defence it is something that helps differentiate it from the rest of downtown and feel like it's own separate neighbourhood. No other part of Calgary really looks like that. On the flip side, I gave Ink high marks in my vote because it has considerably more colour than anything else.

Colour aside, I think Verve as a tower is exceeding my expectations. I really can't wait till both sides are done.

The quality in the East Village developments more than makes up for the monochromatic tone. Ink, IMHO, is the weakest erection from a design, urban form, finished quality to date in the village.

Hi I just recently joined this site. I've enjoyed reading the discussions. I like Verve too, it's a classy looking building, I am just finding at the moment the East Village is a little too grey, grey is fine up to a point but too much of it creates a rather cold look. Some colour, if done correctly (I know colour can clash or be overbearing if done wrong) adds some warmth and liveliness to an area.

Last edited:
The quality in the EV developments may be good, but I still find it monochromatic also. Part of me hopes there is market slowdown and lull in new developments so as to have some different style buildings go up when the design trends change. I like INK for being different, and also the fact that it's not a large podium development. It's fine to have a few buildings with the large podiums, but I'd like to see more of the smaller individual buildings like INK.

The quality in the EV developments may be good, but I still find it monochromatic also. Part of me hopes there is market slowdown and lull in new developments so as to have some different style buildings go up when the design trends change. I like INK for being different, and also the fact that it's not a large podium development. It's fine to have a few buildings with the large podiums, but I'd like to see more of the smaller individual buildings like INK.
It is very Vancouver/Toronto in that way (probably a reflection of the major developers copying their well-tested designs from those cities). INK very intentionally went it's own route, and wasn't part of the EV development process in the same way as all the other condos (e.g. marketed independently), which has since been reflected in the outcome of being different.

I would be really curious how the remaining central full block develops and how much longer it will take. It's large and will be the end of development in the current phase of EV, truly into the city with continuous urban development and street frontages (something that hasn't occurred since the block was converted into a parking lot from single family homes in the early 1950s). In fact, that block is likely to be close to the record of oldest full-block parking lot in the city.

Back