The Hat Elbow River | 177.99m | 56s | Cidex Group | NORR

Stantec Tower is taller, but I would not trade it for Telus Sky, The Bow, or even Bankers Hall or Eighth Avenue Place. It's only noteworthy for its height.
While I agree with your sentiment, I'd trade it for Eighth Avenue Place. To me it's an equally soulless design, so you might as well take the height.

Last edited:
Stantec is a snooze fest and Edmonton has many parking lots to fill. I'd do the trade for a package of filler buildings.

Edmonton is looking backwards and there's a taller tower being built in suburban Canada right now. Burnaby will never match the quality of skyscrapers in Calgary. It will overtake in numbers by 2030.

Stantec is a snooze fest and Edmonton has many parking lots to fill. I'd do the trade for a package of filler buildings.

Edmonton is looking backwards and there's a taller tower being built in suburban Canada right now. Burnaby will never match the quality of skyscrapers in Calgary. It will overtake in numbers by 2030.

Have you guys seen VMC in Vaughan, Square One Mississauga, Golden Mile, or Scarborough Town Centre? 😭

VMC - 30,000 Units proposed
NORM-LI_201210_EXT_AERIAL_VF_00-option-scaled-1.jpg

800px-Vaughan_Metropolitan_Centre_aerial_view_2022.jpg

Square One Mississauga - 20,000 Units proposed

40751-135117.jpg

VBwYMYKL1F.jpeg

Golden Mile Toronto - 35,000 Units proposed in 75 towers

Golden-Mile-3D-render.jpg

Scarborough Town Centre - 30,000 Units proposed in 70 towers

Scarborough+City+Centre.jpeg

Is Midtown Station too much to ask for now? 😂

Toronto has many proposals. Getting them all built would take divine intervention

Any of these plans is enough housing for a small town with a sprinkle of retail and other commercial around transit as low as light rail in a right of way. The province calls these transit oriented communities instead of TODs to convince ratepayers these projects are actual communities.

Last edited:
Toronto has many proposals. Getting them all built would take divine intervention

Any of these plans is enough housing for a small town with a sprinkle of retail and other commercial around transit as low as light rail in a right of way. The province calls these transit oriented communities instead of TODs to convince ratepayers these projects are actual communities.
Yup. I actually read the other day that the condo market in TO is struggling and there are quite a few stalled projects there. Anecdotally of course.

Yup. I actually read the other day that the condo market in TO is struggling and there are quite a few stalled projects there. Anecdotally of course.
Yeah, projects passing the proposal stage have slowed a lot as the presale market is not as strong in TO right now ( at least compared to what it was). There are still tons of new proposals though, I figure most developers want to try and get the zoning and such approved so that when they feel the market is better they can turn the switch to start much easier.

Agree. Ask me 15 years ago about height mattering and I would have been all over it, but these I couldn’t care less.
In Edmonton’s case it doesn’t even make sense given the number of empty lots. They should be doing buildings 5-10 stories high.

Stantec Tower is 3.8 metres taller than Brookfield Place, see above.

Also none of these tower would be taller than Stantec.
Edmonton has the tallest building, but for overall height in general its butt is kicked. One tall building doesn’t really count.
The point is moot though. Nobody cares about height in 2024.

Height remains a feature in any local conversation from my observations. The broader international conversation has shifted to a super tall threshold and interest in lists of city tallest by number of skyscrapers have declined by the sheer number of skyscrapers built in the last 10 years. Less than 2% taller is a technicality that is exclusively on display in these lists. 2% taller is a non factor in skyline or building images.

Calgary's skyline is undeniably more impressive in every key category than Edmonton by a Herculean margin

I'm old enough to remember when only NYC, Chicago and Houston had supertalls. If anything, the boom in skyscraper construction around the world has led to skyscrapers not being such a big deal anymore. that said, Calgary's skyline is impressive, well balanced and very aesthetically pleasing especially considering our city size. Skyscraper fans in a lot of US cities in our size range (thinking of places like Columbus, KC, Indianapolis, Sacramento, Nashville etc) would be thrilled to have a skyline like ours.

Back