News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Retail Thread

Glad to see our downtown mall is staying strong. It sounds like hard times for the City Centre mall in Edmonton.
City Centre Mall has never really had good times. The best times it ever had was in the late 70's right after it was built, but then when West Ed was built, City Centre started to go down, and it's been mostly a coffin ever since. I remember going there a few times in the late 80's and early 90's and it was mostly dead, at least when comparted to Calgary's TD Square and Eaton's Centre. I was there once a few years back and still dead. I had heard something about them trying to revive it with some renos or something. don't know where that's at.

Holt Renfrew Confirms Calgary Store To Stay Open With Long-Term Lease Renewal At The CORE

Really great news about Holt Renfrew committing to a long term lease at the Core. I think it would have been really easy for them to pack up their bags and move to Chinook, but it just wouldn't have the same experience as a flagship downtown location. Hopefully, this also allows the Core to sign better tenants with a committed anchor tenant at the mall.

Also, the article states that a renovated World of Gucci store will open on the ground floor, which is also great news.
Holt Renfrew would have been competing for the same dollars with Saks, Nordstrom, Harry Rosen, and all the standalone high end brand name stores at Chinook.

Holt Renfrew would have been competing for the same dollars with Saks, Nordstrom, Harry Rosen, and all the standalone high end brand name stores at Chinook.
Very true, but the future of Saks seems to be uncertain and would have been a good potential location for Holt if they had chose to move. LV relocating out of downtown still stings, but I'm glad it didn't sway Holt to follow suit.

City Centre Mall has never really had good times. The best times it ever had was in the late 70's right after it was built, but then when West Ed was built, City Centre started to go down, and it's been mostly a coffin ever since. I remember going there a few times in the late 80's and early 90's and it was mostly dead, at least when comparted to Calgary's TD Square and Eaton's Centre. I was there once a few years back and still dead. I had heard something about them trying to revive it with some renos or something. don't know where that's at.
Fair, it was never good, but now it just sounds sketchy. They had planned renovations, but Covid may have killed that.

I wish all the high end designer brands would relocate to downtown. The Core should be the premium mall in the city, not Chinook.
It’s unfortunate, but I’ve reconciled the fact that Chinook is king of the city when it comes to retail. I wouldn’t even mind it if the parcels to the east of Chinook could be TOD redeveloped and Chinook was a dense urban node.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nordstrom-canada-1.6766073

Looks like Nordstrom is pulling out of Canada and closing all their stores sadly. Will be a big impact to malls considering the size of their stores. I’m curious what Chinook will do with the space.
I guess Holt Renfrew could have left the Core for Chinook…

Not that I can afford to shop at Nordstrom except on a very rare occasion, but I prefer Nordstrom to some of its high end competitors.

Will be a big loss for Calgary since it will have to fill both the Nordstrom and Nordstom Rack stores.

Bought my moms Christmas gift there this year. First and only time I will have been in the store. The brand of bag has a stand alone store opening in the mall or may already be open.

1678373024598.png

Agreed. You'd think a high profile location like that could be better utilized. A positive side is it doesn't look like they are putting much money into the reno, so maybe there are plans to generate some revenue for a few years while they decide what to do with it.

My favourite part is how they didn't even bother to draw updated parking lines in the render.

To Surreal's point above, this seems like a near-zero investment in the building. I am actually suprised they bothered with a press release.

I assume that means the Lammle's in Chinook is/has been closed? I wonder what the sales differential will be between being in the mall v. the other side of the Glenmore canyon.

My favourite part is how they didn't even bother to draw updated parking lines in the render.

To Surreal's point above, this seems like a near-zero investment in the building. I am actually suprised they bothered with a press release.

I assume that means the Lammle's in Chinook is/has been closed? I wonder what the sales differential will be between being in the mall v. the other side of the Glenmore canyon.
Last time I was at Chinook, Lammle's was closed with hoarding in front. Retail Insider mentioned that Zara was expanding so maybe they will expand into Lammle's and allow for renovation of their existing space? I don't think that Zara has ever done a renovation since opening over a decade ago.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-i...t-to-market-retailers-open-in-2023-interview/

Back