News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Retail Thread

Glad to see another empty spot get filled on 17th. Snapping back from the pandemic quick

1624372852112.png

The Bay is downsizing their presence in their downtown store to 3 floors, may end up moving out entirely if trends continue. The city needs to move to protect the building should the store close, that's the nicest of the old Bay stores, and one of the nicest buildings in all of downtown.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...downsizing-and-survival-in-doubt-says-analyst
The days of full service department stores located downtown are long over. Hudson Bay has been the one hold out. I think if they focus on fashion and maybe housewares/linens etc they should be able to make a go of it in that location. That is probably how they are going to manage with 3 floors. I for one still like to shop for my clothes at this very store.

Chinook general manager confirmed that Uniqlo will be coming to the mall in the link below.

Link

I noticed that there's two spaces in the mall that are currently empty and big enough to fit Uniqlo. There's the space between Pottery Barn and Jewels by Maximes on the ground floor or the space between Lush and Oakley's on the second floor.

My bet is the second floor location.

Retail Insider article about new stores coming to Chinook this year including Uniqlo, Nike, Mejuri, Jo Malone, Rolex (within new Birks store) and expansion to Zara

Retail Insider Link

They also mention about a "U.S. based restaurant who will have a first to market and probably their only store in Calgary will be here at Chinook Centre". Wondering if it might be Cheesecake Factory?

Retail Insider article about new stores coming to Chinook this year including Uniqlo, Nike, Mejuri, Jo Malone, Rolex (within new Birks store) and expansion to Zara

Retail Insider Link

They also mention about a "U.S. based restaurant who will have a first to market and probably their only store in Calgary will be here at Chinook Centre". Wondering if it might be Cheesecake Factory?
Maybe Fogo De Chao or Carrabba?

Holt Renfrew Confirms Calgary Store To Stay Open With Long-Term Lease Renewal At The CORE

Really great news about Holt Renfrew committing to a long term lease at the Core. I think it would have been really easy for them to pack up their bags and move to Chinook, but it just wouldn't have the same experience as a flagship downtown location. Hopefully, this also allows the Core to sign better tenants with a committed anchor tenant at the mall.

Also, the article states that a renovated World of Gucci store will open on the ground floor, which is also great news.

Back