Hat @ 14th Street | 94.48m | 28s | Cidex Group | NORR

At the EV Hat they are demanding 6 months rent in advance. My buddy (recently moved here from DC) laughed in the leasing agent's face.

How could Cidex get any more brutal? 🤣
Is it because the friend is from out of country? I know someone who moved into Aura, and they didn’t have to pay 6 months up front.

Is it because the friend is from out of country? I know someone who moved into Aura, and they didn’t have to pay 6 months up front.
Was Aura built by Cidex? If that's the case then I can confirm what you see on the outside is what you get on the inside. I used to live in that building - absolutely terrible and shoddy construction on the inside. Flooring broke within months of moving in, water/electrical problems the entire time, insane amounts of dust in the garage (i.e. after leaving my car in there I'd have to take it for a wash after 12 hours)

I find this extremely unlikely.

More to the point, I don't believe it.
*shrug* I mean, that's what happened. So, good for you I guess? 🤣

Also yes Aura and Arch are Cidex, and yes they are trash.

And the 6 month rent ludicrousness could have been because he's new to the country. They didn't say.

I live in the Arch, you know, that place that you all think is a fucking dump (my home), and I'm pretty sure landlords can't ask for more than first/last month's rent unless you cannot provide any credit history - then things may change.
I think people's idea of what a dump is, gets skewed sometimes, especially here after comparing so many different new builds. I've lived in some apartments that were actual dumps, and I've been inside of Aura (which is much the same as Arch) I can say that it's not a dump.

Sorry I should not have called it trash/dump, I just have heard many problems over the years. Did not mean to offend, was out of line on my part.

But yes the demand of 6 months was almost certainly because he's new to the country and therefore doesn't have a Canadian credit history. However, that was not a problem with multiple other buildings, including UPTEN, which he has signed a lease at without issue.

It's not a dump, but there are some serious issues that shouldn't be in place in a new build. Things that you would expect to start falling apart after decades started falling apart after 1-2 years of construction

There was a pickup truck at the site yesterday when I was driving past. I didn't get a look at the name of the company on the truck, if the truck is there again today I'll try and get a better look when I go past there.

Also could have been partially racially motivated, as he's black with a Caribbean (Haitian) accent. Joke's on them since he's got two masters degrees from U of Michigan and is planning to stay here long term. Suckers :p

Also could have been partially racially motivated, as he's black with a Caribbean (Haitian) accent. Joke's on them since he's got two masters degrees from U of Michigan and is planning to stay here long term. Suckers :p
I hope that's not the case, but to be honest I'd be surprised if it was. I've spent a fair bit of time at the Good Earth across the street and a lot of the people coming and going from the building are of different ethnicity. My guess is it's because he's from out of country. My ex-girlfriend had the same issue when she moved here from Australia.

I hope that's not the case, but to be honest I'd be surprised if it was. I've spent a fair bit of time at the Good Earth across the street and a lot of the people coming and going from the building are of different ethnicity. My guess is it's because he's from out of country. My ex-girlfriend had the same issue when she moved here from Australia.
That's probably exactly what it is.

Back