Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Was just thinking of those stairs! Thanks for posting the picture. How come the Alberta Building Code didn’t require the library to paint black stripes all over their stairs and put railing so close together?

Also the comparison demonstrates how shoddy the concrete work is on CY33.

I downgraded my vote to “okay”.

Anybody still think this is an accurate representation of their next big project?
1627052011497.png

If they spend the money and don't VE it to death, it could look like that. This is envisioned as a double skin building IIRC, so it will depend on the connections as MissingMiddle said above, but also inner layer of glass and how dark it is and how much spandrel. There are lots of little details that will require careful consideration, but if well executed will make this a great building.

as was the case with courtyard 33 i wish they werent cutting their teeth on such prominent projects in prominent locations. not that i dont have faith, just think they should be working their esss out where the consequences arent as extreme.

I hope the inglewood project doesn’t get off the ground. RNDSQ are not capable of executing their own vision. They have good ideas and concepts but the execution is substandard. No point building the Inglewood project only to see it end up looking like trash. Poor Marda Loop is stuck with their tuna can for the next half a century.

I think 34th should be the cycle street, move the pedestrian / bike overpass to 34th and leave 33rd to cars. As a cyclist, 33rd is too busy, I can go a block south.
A few years ago I proposed a concept of turning 33 AV SW from 14 ST SW to 22 ST SW into a one way WB and the corresponding stretch of 34 AV SW into a one way EB, with EB traffic coming off Crowchild jogging over to 34 AV SW at 22 ST SW. Each direction would have had only one through lane, which would have freed up a lot of real estate for other uses, such as bike lanes, wider sidewalks, etc, without losing much street parking. Ideally the speed limit in both directions (as well as on the surrounding residential streets) would have been 30kph, to help make the area friendlier for pedestrians and cyclists, and for hanging out in the public realm and on patios. It would have also given Marda Loop back its namesake “loop”. Alas, the concept didn’t “make the cut”.

A few years ago I proposed a concept of turning 33 AV SW from 14 ST SW to 22 ST SW into a one way WB and the corresponding stretch of 34 AV SW into a one way EB, with EB traffic coming off Crowchild jogging over to 34 AV SW at 22 ST SW. Each direction would have had only one through lane, which would have freed up a lot of real estate for other uses, such as bike lanes, wider sidewalks, etc, without losing much street parking. Ideally the speed limit in both directions (as well as on the surrounding residential streets) would have been 30kph, to help make the area friendlier for pedestrians and cyclists, and for hanging out in the public realm and on patios. It would have also given Marda Loop back its namesake “loop”. Alas, the concept didn’t “make the cut”.
That's too bad. It's sounds like a good plan to me. I would have liked to see that.

One can hope that RNDSQR will learn from the mistakes they made on this one when they develop the remainder of the block.
The biggest mistake IMO was that the project didn't match up to what the renderings were showing, and there was a let down from the high anticipation. The project may have been value engineered when it changed from condos to rental, and maybe not necessarily mistakes, and part of the reason it didn't match the renderings. This was RNDSQR's first project of this scale, and after turfing the GC, managed the construction themselves so there's bound to be a learning curve, but IMO, outside of the project not matching the promising renderings it went fairly well.

Back