Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Being “better than what was there before” is not the bar we should be setting for this city. I liked the restaurant in the nice old house that was there before, so it’s not even really that much better. And yes, of course the added retail will be nice.
I think this is a great response @UrbanWarrior. The bar needs to be set higher. I’ve been thinking about the mantra “thinking outside of the box”, but now think that designers such as myself, create other boxes that end up being decorated crutches thinking it is exemplary. I now believe that we need to rewind, rethink etc . It’s a larger discussion.

Couldn’t agree more.

Being “better than what was there before” is not the bar we should be setting for this city. I liked the restaurant in the nice old house that was there before, so it’s not even really that much better. And yes, of course the added retail will be nice.
Totally agree, they should. But pretending that this city will turn out world class projects and then being shocked and disappointed when it doesn’t is something of a repeat on this forum. This is Calgary, my expectations are low, I’m happy to see anything that used to be a parking lot or old housing with a new build on it.

I think the building overall has a lot of positives, but the corrugated cladding is where things changed. In the rendering the panels are of a similar color, but different texture. If those original panels were used, the building could have looked similar to the rendering, and the consensus would be different.

Not sure why the change to corrugated...maybe when it changed from condo to rental? I don't mind the corrugated paneling in the courtyard, but I'm not a huge fan of it on the outside. Still, I don't hate the building.

Totally agree, they should. But pretending that this city will turn out world class projects and then being shocked and disappointed when it doesn’t is something of a repeat on this forum. This is Calgary, my expectations are low, I’m happy to see anything that used to be a parking lot or old housing with a new build on it.
I think part of the concern (most of it?) is the fact the project was granted extra height/density over what the approved council policy allowed for this parcel, based on the fact the renderings showed a "world class project". It even won some Mayor's Urban Design Awards if I recall. Should there not be any accountability for that? Or, is it just a major loophole in our process, that some developers have been able to exploit (probably way too harsh of a word, as I do honestly think RNDSQR had the best of intentions when this project was planned 5 years ago...).

that's not where that restaurant was, its still an empty lot

I think part of the concern (most of it?) is the fact the project was granted extra height/density over what the approved council policy allowed for this parcel, based on the fact the renderings showed a "world class project". It even won some Mayor's Urban Design Awards if I recall. Should there not be any accountability for that? Or, is it just a major loophole in our process, that some developers have been able to exploit (probably way too harsh of a word, as I do honestly think RNDSQR had the best of intentions when this project was planned 5 years ago...).
Do we judge projects by materials for their approval recommendations? I know there's a bunch of comments and back-and-forth throughout the process, but wondering if a planning approvals has ever been contingent on the materials as the critical point where a recommendation is made to reject the development because it chooses one material over another. Part of the messy bit you allude to is the negotiated outcome (political) part where extra height/density is given in most cases with a seemingly wide variety of compensations - from nothing to a bunch of public realm design and materials improvements. It seems to change randomly by neighbourhood, by project and by scale.

The CY33 project really does do a ton of innovative design, is dense in the right place, adds to a main street and is a great scale. I love the metal look because Marda Loop is so vanilla otherwise, but totally get the argument that it's not what was promised from a materials perspective. I just don't know if that's something the process would/could have guaranteed?

That same approval process also approved West Village Towers, despite doing none of the basics right with it's podium and not delivering on the promised materials. So there's some broader issues with it beyond materials too.

Last edited:
C35EA6FE-76C2-4A03-94F2-779F29994C45.jpeg
5054A376-0E92-45C1-8A9F-3E516527FE2C.jpeg
F2E21D50-7824-48FE-9F0B-ECC17E7C520D.jpeg
FCD703A4-59A9-4CF7-A723-A8ED9D0EC00B.jpeg
F21E73ED-B4EB-48DE-AC36-E1500627E21C.jpeg

Back