Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Then perhaps the problem is they chose a shitty location to build this. If they can’t build a proper arena on this site, then why the hell try to shoehorn it in? Can’t they realign some of the roads (5th street) and give it more room? Dumping the parkade would also give more space. Just so much wrong with this junk box.

That's a really good observation about 5th Street SE. From that rendering it appears 5th descends as an underpass. I'm a little out of the loop, but could it have been aligned to a previous Green Line plan? Apologies if I got this wrong.
There is a concept to build an underpass at 5th:

Given that the 4th St underpass cost $80M and is only a block away, I think this would be a poor use of public funds.

One of the concepts for Remington's Rail Town development had an elaborate park and stairs bridging the CPR tracks in about that vicinity. Maybe that would be a better idea

Yeah. Another underpass a block away makes no sense. It is not like there are a lot of traffic options heading north or east without some zigging and zagging. 4 St SE going north is not ideal as it does not connect directly with the 'flyover'. You have to go west a couple of blocks, then north and east again. Your only option going east on 9th Ave is through Inglewood which is also not ideal.
5 St SE north presents the same challenges.

The plan is for 5th street to serve as an arterial road connecting 17th Ave/stampede parking with 9th Ave while 4th street/Stampede Trail is closed to pedestrian traffic during events. 5th street is planned to be 3 lanes (1 south 2 north.) During the last council meeting it was implied that there had been discussion on whether the underpass should be on 5th or 6th street during the making of the RDMP.

Last edited:
Yeah. Another underpass a block away makes no sense. It is not like there are a lot of traffic options heading north or east without some zigging and zagging. 4 St SE going north is not ideal as it does not connect directly with the 'flyover'. You have to go west a couple of blocks, then north and east again. Your only option going east on 9th Ave is through Inglewood which is also not ideal.
5 St SE north presents the same challenges.
You can now turn onto the 5th Ave flyover from 4th street via the lane on the north side of Arris

It would be better than 5th. I suspect an underpass at 11th St SW will be higher priority
I am not sure if this is the case, but is this one of those CRL allocation problems? 11th Street is the priority but the funding is only available for 5th Street SE due to the East Village rules where the funding can't leave the area it's generated.

It would be better than 5th. I suspect an underpass at 11th St SW will be higher priority
11St should be way higher on the priority list, but 5th would be easier to do and part of the Green line / Rivers District, so I put my money on that one happening first.
How they will make the CPR tracks work on 11st to facilitate construction will be interesting.

Back