Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Good architects are able to synthesize diverse sets of views in order to produce an original design that responds to its context in novel, creative ways. When they accomplish this, the community feels like they have had a hand in creating the final product.

Community consultation, when done properly, can make the difference between an actually good, original building and something generic that could have been slapped down anywhere.

Architects themselves no longer believe in the all powerful Le Corbusier-style "expert" who waltzes into town, hands down a design from up on high to a grateful and receptive public. Community consultation, and getting different points of view is a big part of architectural training these days.
This is correct. I would hazard to guess, especially with public funding, there were many stakeholder sessions with concert guests, organizers, flames fans, Victoria Park neighbours....which is where you will find the best input, those who enjoy these spaces and want them to succeed...versus the jilted axe-to-grind citizen who just wants to throw a wrench into it. I think some feel unless there's an open forum or public free-for-all, that nobody has been asked.

Ie: i'm not a library user, I felt the new one was a massive price tag for what it brings, but I get that different groups want different amenities, so if someone asked my design input my bias would 100% not be helpful to the design of a library

Back