Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
It looks like HOK/Dialog was at least trying to use similar materials to the BMO expansion (stone + metal panels) but went with cheaper limestone and aluminum. Perhaps they decided to use an unpolished exterior render as the final design because CSEC ordered them to focus on the interior design?

Last edited:
I’ve always liked the Sprint Centre in Kansas City. All it needs is to modify the ground level and add some retail https://images.app.goo.gl/9KyN65YcSjjdx8iw8
The Sprint Centre, I'd love to look at more. The footprint is the same as the new Calgary arena - and they haven't hid anything underground and they're at 2.73 hectares for a square, down closer to 2.25 from a tighter fit.
1628711360910.png

From what I've seen of the concourse of Sprint Center they squashed everything (bathrooms, concessions, maintenance, etc.) onto the inner wall of the concourse to make room for that "artsy" exterior. The internal space isn't being used as efficiently as a traditional modern arena that has windows only at select locations.

Looking closer at the Sprint Centre, even the areas around the arena that are blank walls feel more inviting and open than the new Calgary arena. Hmmm go figure that glass feels more open, inviting, and active than a giant parkade wall.

Looking closer at the Sprint Centre, even the areas around the arena that are blank walls feel more inviting and open than the new Calgary arena. Hmmm go figure that glass feels more open, inviting, and active than a giant parkade wall.
Almost makes you forget how dingy the rest of the city looks
Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (38).png

Calgary has done the Urban Planning side with the RDMP now we're just waiting on the development side. The best the arena will provide for the area is CRL revenue from taxes. The Green Line Station will provide more of a reason for people to live in the area than some arena ever will.

New poster but not new to the site. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Centre Videotron as an example of what less than half a billion dollars will get you. Relatively new (completed in 2015) Canadian NHL ready arena at a relatively lower cost of 370 million CAD with an 18, 259 capacity.

I wasn't a huge fan of the exterior architecture when it first came out but it's grown on me a bit. The interior is gorgeous though.

1628721575518.png

1628721619796.png

1628721642315.png

1628721716759.png

Attachments

• 1628721673425.png
    1628721673425.png
    615.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
New poster but not new to the site. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Centre Videotron as an example of what less than half a billion dollars will get you. Relatively new (completed in 2015) Canadian NHL ready arena at a relatively lower cost of 370 million CAD with an 18, 259 capacity.

I wasn't a huge fan of the exterior architecture when it first came out but it's grown on me a bit. The interior is gorgeous though.

View attachment 340883

View attachment 340885
View attachment 340886
View attachment 340888
The only complaint I've heard consistently about that arena is how steep the seating bowl is

The only complaint I've heard consistently about that arena is how steep the seating bowl is
Yeah, I've heard that too. It definitely wasn't due to a restricted amount of space in their architectural footprint.

Anyway, as a general dollar for dollar comparison it shows what can be built in the CAD 500m range even accounting for recent inflation. And I know that most of you from Calgary hate Rogers Place just on principle but I really like the simplicity of the design as well as the materials. And that's after they cheapened out on the zinc for stainless. I think if the cladding looks anything like the renders, the new Calgary Event Centre could look modern and understated.

I know I'm in the minority in finding the T-mobile Centre kind of gaudy looking....which is a natural fit in the Vegas landscape. The new Chase Center for about 5 times the price (1.4 Billion US) has very similar vibes to Videotron.

1628723859905.png

Last edited:
Forgot about Videotron, it looks pretty good, hopefully they get a team to play in there one day! That sculpture in front of it is pretty neat too.

Last edited:

Back