Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
You'd wanna look at the people who worked on it, not necessarily just the office.

Looking at who stamped the drawings, it's this guy: https://www.dialogdesign.ca/our-team/people/rob-adamson/
That's just one person though. Unfortunately Dialog doesn't appear to have revealed their design team working the project so we can only guess. If it's the same team who worked on the ice district in Edmonton though it doesn't bring much in the way of confidence.

More corrugated steel on the exterior and everyone on this website would have been thrilled.

They wouldn't. HOK is a machine, and rife with talent. I'm a bit biased as I worked for them in Toronto and here. Although, it may be about the contractual arrangement between the Architect and the Architect of Record, but don't know. I will say that HOK are excellent design collaborators, but ultimately they are the prime Architects on this project. HOK is headquartered in St. Louis. Their immediate competitor is Populous, whose leadership is somewhat comprised of former HOK Sports and Entertainment practice leaders. Both are excellent companies, and usually really push good sustainable design. I believe Populous was also going after the Event Centre. So, the end result of the Event Centre is a bit of a mystery to me. Also, lets not forget that the original concept for the Event Centre came from a different firm, Rossetti Architects. It does happen sometimes that designs take a completely different direction from concept.

From the Rossetti page you can also see a significant difference, with the loading dock extending across and cutting off 5 St SE:
1628460982147.png

Considering the Rossetti concept took up less land by using the much smaller footprint deconstructed/inverted bowl, we shouldn't be surprised the current concept has significant compromises to keep it within an even smaller footprint.

From the Rossetti page you can also see a significant difference, with the loading dock extending across and cutting off 5 St SE:
View attachment 340177

Considering the Rossetti concept took up less land by using the much smaller footprint deconstructed/inverted bowl, we shouldn't be surprised the current concept has significant compromises to keep it within an even smaller footprint.
That's a really good observation about 5th Street SE. From that rendering it appears 5th descends as an underpass. I'm a little out of the loop, but could it have been aligned to a previous Green Line plan? Apologies if I got this wrong.

That's a really good observation about 5th Street SE. From that rendering it appears 5th descends as an underpass. I'm a little out of the loop, but could it have been aligned to a previous Green Line plan? Apologies if I got this wrong.
That to my eye is the loading dock entrance not an underpass.

Back