Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I mean come on - we can't even negotiate a more reasonable index their contribution to cover the costs? Do operating costs, insurance and other items only rise by 1% a year?

1682468785661.png

Great news! And a much better schematic layout that avoids the pitfalls of shoehorning the project into a small site. The new plan is much more feasible for retail lining the project on the north and west, and the inclusion of a mixed use tower is a huge positive.
The addition of that tower on the NE corner in those renders is just filler like the buildings to the north. For example the district renders on the previous agreement showed towers on all four corners of the arena. There's a good likelihood there won't be any tower on that corner.

Why not right? 30% office vacancy and all that. Maybe they can apply for the office conversion program to squeeze a few more dollars into the deal.

I like the orientation and the community arena/retail bays. I hope they aren't sacrificed to the escalation and overrun project cut backs that come with a project this size once it's closer to construction.

Is there a limit to how much a provincial government can promise to spend after a budget is approved but before an election?

Overall it's all been said - deal will go down be another example of what not to do long history of stadium corporate welfare schemes (Assuming it actually gets built of course - everyone was really confident last time too)
This arena will be their baby, can't fault the corporation for wanting to have an office component for their employees. If indeed that's what it is. Having a hotel would be a no brainer, Edmonton hosted everything during Covid due to the Ice District Hotel.

Sweet jaysus! $874 million for a bloody arena?!? Mental. The design BEST have been updated appropriately.

As part of the agreement CSEC has the options to acquire 4 commercial development parcels around the project and the right of first offer on prospective development opportunities on the lands currently housing the Victoria Park Bus Maintenance Facility.

The addition of that tower on the NE corner in those renders is just filler like the buildings to the north. For example the district renders on the previous agreement showed towers on all four corners of the arena. There's a good likelihood there won't be any tower on that corner.
There's an appetite for a hotel directly connected. Perhaps it'll come to fruition.

Which render was that? I don’t believe the schematic / concept design for the previous iteration had any towers, there simply wasn’t enough real estate on the parcel for it.

I think we definitely need the underpass in the future. Once EV and VP are fully built out, having more than 1 connection will be great for moving people. I hope they include cycle tracks as part of the construction.
If any green infrastructure such as cycle tracks are included will Murray Edwards walk again?!?

As part of the agreement CSEC has the options to acquire 4 commercial development parcels around the project and the right of first offer on prospective development opportunities on the lands currently housing the Victoria Park Bus Maintenance Facility.
I'm curious how this works...isn't selling public land supposed to be fairly open/transparent?

Which render was that? I don’t believe the schematic / concept design for the previous iteration had any towers, there simply wasn’t enough real estate on the parcel for it.

It was the rivers district master plan massing that showed towers on four corners of the arena but that was just preliminary stuff to show the arena location.

Back